Charge to cash a cheque

popol

I wont name and shame the bank yet in case this is normal.

I have just been charged 16 euro approx to cash a cheque which came from France. I lodged it by post so I didn't know exactly what it would cost until the cheque cleared and made its way into my account. The cheque was for just over 700.

It seems very high to me - what do others think ? I have sent in a query but haven't received a reply yet.

There is no € zone wide clearing system for € denominated cheques so you are likely to be hit with charges for lodging/cleaing a French € cheque. See here for example:

[broken link removed]

And bear in mind [broken link removed] - which I would imagine is the the policy of other banks too:
Due to the absence of a central European Clearing system, if you receive a cheque written in euro, which is drawn on a financial institution outside of the Republic of Ireland, it will be treated as an international cheque.
The tariff of charges for your account should explicitly state what the charges are. Electronic € zone payments are better since the charges are capped.

[broken link removed]

Thanks for the prompt reply - Looks like I have to take my punishment. Its a one off cheque though so there is no incentive for me to put something more efficient in place.

Thanks again.

Back