Chapelizod

mp_view

I'm considering buying a second-hand apartment in Chapelizod. However, I don't know a huge amount about the area to be honest. From what I can see it appears to be a good location e.g. good selection of amenities and appears to be within an "easy commute" of the city centre. However, I would be keen to hear opinions from others who live/work in the area regarding the pro's and con's of buying in Chapelizod...

Don't live there but drive through every morning.

Traffic around your apartment would, I imagine, be a major issue. There is talk of serious traffic calming measures being introduced by DCC in order to drastically reduce traffice through the village. This could be a blessing or a curse. There is the beginnings of a campaign by Dublin 15 politicians in order to object to this. There are a large no of buses going directly into town coming from Lucan, Leixlip, Maynooth etc. No train service.

There is a spar, chemist and a couple of pubs within a minute of most of the apartments. No major supermarket within walking distance, although Liffey Valley isn't that far by car.

Regards,

Past30

Good location, traffic is very bad through there at rush hour. Is the appartment near the Ballyfermot side or more towards the centre of the village.

If you don't mind noise it is a great location....

I have two colleagues who moved from there recently because of traffic and noise though..

One apartment is close to the village but the other is on the Ballyfermot side.

Thanks for the heads up re: the rush hour traffic - but how really bad is it? e.g. roughly how long would it take a bus to get from Chapelizod village to O'Connell Bridge in the morning, say leaving Chapelizod at 8am?

In reply to your post regarding travel time to O'Connell St Bridge. I travel through Chapelizod every morning by bus. I estimate that it would take you no longer than 20mins to get from Chapelizod to O'Connell St Bridge in the morning at 8am on the bus. This would be excluding if there was an accident on the Quays.

I leave Palmerstown at 8am (pass through chapelizod) and am on O'Connell St Bridge for approx 8.30/8.35

Dublin City Council are seriously considering making Knockmaroon hill one
way only, which should redue the traffic going through Chapelizod.

Hi there, I live in Chapelizod, in apartment on BFermot side. Love the location, I love driving home with the Phoenix Park on one side, the liffey on the other, I'm happy here, once you know a few rules like making sure your car has a steering lock on it, but isn't that everywhere? True, there isn't a supermarket except the local spar..I kinda like that though and am hoping big shops stay out as there is a lovely old feel to the village...I hope they stop now building apartments..we have enough now. I've got no problem with noise.

Wollran said:
In reply to your post regarding travel time to O'Connell St Bridge. I travel through Chapelizod every morning by bus. I estimate that it would take you no longer than 20mins to get from Chapelizod to O'Connell St Bridge in the morning at 8am on the bus. This would be excluding if there was an accident on the Quays.

I leave Palmerstown at 8am (pass through chapelizod) and am on O'Connell St Bridge for approx 8.30/8.35

I cycle in to TCD from Carpenterstown through Phoenix Park every day and it takes about 30 mins max. I once did a rough count of all the vehicles, mostly single occupant, which I passed on the way in to work one morning - 216. Cycling is way more relaxed and you get there much faster. And cheaper. And fitter.

From Chapelizod it shouldn't take you longer than 20 mins max, and it's all flat!

Do be careful on the quays though, do wear a high viz jacket and a helmet and always count on the other guy doing something stupid.

Nothing to do with Chapelizod but in reply to Chippengael

I passed a neighbour in my (dual occupant) car this morning as he was leaving his house on his bike. Living close to Roselawn Shopping Centre, by the time I passed his office off parkgate street he had the guts of 45 minutes work done. I had another thirty minutes drive down the quays. I think I'm going to use my bike!!

Past30

Ah Chapelizod is a great spot. Many a night of my youth I spent drinking in Keenans and the Villager pubs!

As other posters have said the amount of traffic flowing through the village is a bit of a drawback. A relative has a house on the banks of the liffey a minutes walk from the village. It's superb.

As regards commuting to town it really is only a short hop into town on the bus. At morning rush hour you probably won't get a seat on the bus coming form Lucan but as it's a short journey that shouldn't be a problem.

Back