Changing your surname after getting married - why?

Mr Mell was kind enough to go down on bended knee 1 month after I renewed my passport for 10 years! As passport office will only issue me another one on full payment, i decided to change my name as things came along.
So healthwise my medical records are in married name as I had to change doctor soon after marrying, driving license is in married name, and gradually as I visit various banks / building societies (where I hide my dosh from said husband ;)) I've changed my name !
Workwise I've not changed as i hadn't really considered it until the day before the wedding when they called to ask if I wanted it done while I was away on honeymoon (i was standing in a skip at the time so gave a curt 'no')...

...i hadn't really considered it until the day before the wedding when they called to ask if I wanted it done while I was away on honeymoon (i was standing in a skip at the time so gave a curt 'no')...

I had to read this a second time as at first glance I thought that you were standing in a skip while on your honeymoon. (Don't mock...I'm sure there are people...)

Nevertheless, I'm intrigued as to why you would end up standing in a skip the day before your wedding. Sounds like a hell of a hen night.

I had to read this a second time as at first glance I thought that you were standing in a skip while on your honeymoon. (Don't mock...I'm sure there are people...)

Nevertheless, I'm intrigued as to why you would end up standing in a skip the day before your wedding. Sounds like a hell of a hen night.

As a good wife to be she was making the marraige home fit for her husband no doubt. Either that or he had sent her in to retrieve a can of beer he'd spotted.

(You can be sure Mrs Bloggs visits this site as regularly as Mrs F - if she found out what I'd written I wouldn't be given my pocket money this week :D)

I asked Mr Tink if he would change his name if it was the other way around and he laughed and said no way ! Good news for me so!

I only wish it had been the hens night that left me in the skip!

No, plan was move house 2 months before wedding... reality was 1 week before wedding (if anyone needs the name of the most incompetent solicitor ever we can provide it, as our buyer used them ;-)
So skip was there to help get rid of packaging/boxes/general builders 'stuff' so that the next day the wedding photographer would have a 'nice' background for some of the shots of me and the bridesmaids. So there I was jumping up and down on a pile of boxes so that we could fit more in before it got collected...
And i'd been promised by all my married friends that the days before you wedding were all coffee with friends, getting nails done, being pampered :rolleyes:

Years ago I was working in a company in London. About 3 months after I started we got an email from one of the IT department along the lines as follows:

I am in the process of getting divorced and will now be reverting back to my original name, xxxx yyyyy. As you can see from the name I used the opportunity when I got married to change it. I do not wish anyone to raise this subject with me in person as it is a difficult topic. Thank you.

Don't want to share the surname obviously as it was an unusual one, and you could understand why they wanted to change it.

Must add though - this mail was from a man!!

On a personal note - did not change my name for work as I spent far too long building up a reputation in the industry I work in. On occassion I use my husbands name - useful when you are complaining about something!!

Back