Changing to Android phone from Apple

Carnmore

I'm considering this change as my iPhone 5 is virtually obsolete now - it's the only smartphone I've owned.

I'm concerned about data transfer to an Android phone.

The phone I'm considering - Xiaomi Redmi 4X 4GB RAM 64GB - from AliExpress.
Apparently the seller uses DHL Express via Hong Kong to avoid customs duty.

Can all data be easily transferred from iOS to Android?
Has anyone bought a phone from AliExpress and avoided duty?
Is there a better model than this and a better site to buy from?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...4316.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.f81c24a9TNKCB

Last edited:
Re switching, this is a good starting point.
https://www.androidcentral.com/switching-iphone-android-everything-you-need-know

I've only ever had iPhones for work and Android for personal use, so I've never done a full switch over.

Your link doesn't work, so I'm not sure what price that phone is. I've never bought anything from AliExpress, so can't comment on that, but I've got great priced phones on Amazon.

I broke the screen on my phone recently, and I'm looking at the Motorola Moto G5 (£179) or G5 plus (£228) as a replacement.

I have an iPhone 4s, totally obsolete but works just fine except for Bluetooth and wifi neither of which has worked for months.

If you like your phone why change it.

I have an iPhone 4s, totally obsolete but works just fine except for Bluetooth and wifi neither of which has worked for months.

If you like your phone why change it.

It's constantly freezing and crashing and the unexpandable memory is full.

I always factor customs charges into the prices of phones from China.

You will get it cheaper here - [broken link removed]

I have had Xiaomi Redmi phones since the 1st Redmi was released a few years ago. I recently bought two of the phones you are looking at and they don't disappoint. If you order them from Banggood above expect to wait at least two weeks for delivery.

You can also get it at Gearbest (make sure you select the Global Version) for around the same price but you can pay for express delivery (but you will pay customs) - https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_630450.html?wid=21

MIUI8 (the software on the phone) is fast and reliable though coming from iPhone you will probably need to get used to it. The camera on that phone (like most Xiaomi's) is fantastic.

There are lots of ways to transfer data from competing platforms - https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-contacts-from-iphone-to-android-186636/

For backups on Android use a Google account and it will save your contacts, etc. Install Google Photos and it will back up all of your photos on the same account.

Also, these phones are unlocked so you are not tied to a particular mobile operator. Get a sim only plan (with Three for example) and you just need to give 30 days notice if you want to switch.

Apparently the seller uses DHL Express via Hong Kong to avoid customs duty.
Has anyone bought a phone from AliExpress and avoided duty?

Using DHL will not assist in avoiding customs, packages are actually more likely to attract customs attention if shipped via a courier firm over regular uninsured post. The page you linked even has small print that you are liable to any customs charges that are applied, their means of avoiding duty is to declare a lower value on the package.

Buying via AliExpress does entail some risk as well, as they are just a marketplace hosting many thousands of sellers, and it's the seller you're buying from. They pop up and disappear overnight. I've bought quite a bit from AE over the years, and most of it has been fine, but don't expect much in terms of support or come back if something goes wrong.

It's constantly freezing and crashing and the unexpandable memory is full.
Have you considered investing in a dual-port memory expansion stick or off-loading photos etc to the cloud or using an iPhone "cleaner" app? What version of iOS does the iPhone run? Storage on any of these phones is finite and needs managing.

I used a 64GB Link PowerDrive with my iPhone 5 and it was extremely useful as it also incorporated a battery charger.

My wife had an absolute nightmare switching from apple to android a couple of years ago, all of her apple imessenger contacts were sending texts she didn't get and vice versa. I wish we'd known of the issues beforehand and Redonions link will sort you out there.

By chance I just saw this phone for sale in a mobile repair shop. 239
It's a big phone (Note version)

Back