Changing solicitor after divorce settlement talks not agreeable

eastowest11

Is it possible to change to a different solicitor late in the whole divorce process. At settlement talks point but current solicitor is not great with advise and communication problems so is it too late to jump ship now ?

I presume that you can change solicitor/legal representation at any time in any legal process.

You may end up with increased fees and extending out the whole process.
Solicitor will only guide but at the end of the day its your decision how to proceed or regarding settlement.
Outside of communication manner, is the solicitor competent? Id be more concerned with that.

OP certainly entitled to change solicitor as of right.

IMHO OP should probably stick with present solicitor because the process has gone so far.

One of the first things OP will receive on notifying the solicitor that instructions are discontinued will be a bill.
As the process is well advanced the bill might be expected to be large.
The solicitor is entitled to charge for all work and outlays up to date of withdrawl of instructions.
There might even be a delay in releasing papers to the new solicitor until the account is settled.

If counsel has been briefed - not exactly imperative in all cases - that will help as it will be a second legal mind addressing the matter.

Who is to say that any new solicitor will be any better or worse ?

There will be an inevitable practical effect of paying twice for some of the work as OP will have retained two separate solicitors to do the same work. The work done by the original solicitor will not be lost but it will be gone over again by the new one.

Is it possible to change to a different solicitor late in the whole divorce process. At settlement talks point but current solicitor is not great with advise and communication problems so is it too late to jump ship now ?
Might it be the case that the solicitor is giving you good advice but you don't like it?

One of the first things OP will receive on notifying the solicitor that instructions are discontinued will be a bill.
As the process is well advanced the bill might be expected to be large.
Judging by this post the original poster seems to be on Legal Aid.

Judging by this post the original poster seems to be on Legal Aid.

Would that mean that someone in OP's situation would have to get clearance from the Legal Aid Board to change solicitors ?

Would that mean that someone in OP's situation would have to get clearance from the Legal Aid Board to change solicitors ?
My ex changed solicitors funded through Legal Aid a number of times. Was extremely frustrating as he kept holding up proceedings and increased the costs on my side. I probably should have applied for legal aid myself but just stuck with my first solicitor. So much money spent on legal bills cos my ex wouldnt tell us what he wanted and refused to negotiate.

Back