Changing Pin No.'s

sherib said:
I shouldn't think banks would provide the facility to change PIN numbers if they thought it risky, would they?

You can generally do this at an ATM?

PHP:
 Originally posted by CCOVICH 

Yes I know - so don't understand comment or how quotes are coming out in a different colour!

Sorry-I misread your post. As to why your quotes are a funny colour-I don't know.

CCOVICH said:

AFAIK most banks allow you to change your pin number using an ATM of the issuing bank.. you can only change your AIB pin at an AIB machine etc.

Janet said:
I use the pin no. the bank sent me - when I first got it, I had it in my address book as part of a phone number for a made-up friend,

Someone told me they did the same as this the other lol :)

i have so many cards. it would be silly to have 10+ pin numbers. the banks do say that a person can change their pin if they want to. if we are not allowed to change this pin then why not say so? why do we have a pin change option on the atm machine? mobile phone pins can be changed, internet banking pin numbers can be changed, alarm pins can be changed. the list is endless. i understand that some people might like to use different pins but it would confuse me and could result in me entering the wrong pin some day. i like to use the same pin for all cards.

Alex.

Another problem with using the same number is that you may use the wrong card when you are less than with it. A friend of mine uses similar pins and went out one night and took 100Euro out of his ATM card. When he got his credit card statement, he'd actually used his credit card which charges interest on cash from day 1.

His fault i know - but another risk for the less with it!

You could argue that having one PIN increases security in some ways by making it easier to keep that one number in your head rather than having to write PIN's because you have 10 different ones.

I'm in the fortunate position of not needing credit cards so the situation described by ShaneMc does not apply in my case.
I have a total of 5 bank cashcards, two from my main bank and the other three from other banks.

An interesting update:

My gf received a new PIN today. The letter stated the following:

When choosing your PIN, please note the following:
1. If you already hold another card, it is possible to choose the same PIN

So my view appears to be incorrect, i.e. that the bank may view it as negligent if you have the same PIN for multiple cards, although they are only saying it is possible to use the same PIN.

Good news for those who are low on memory!:)

Back