Changing names on title deeds after separation, no mortgage

James85

Hi, has anyone done the above without a solicitor? If so, can you PM me?
thanks

I know it's not what you asked but I don't think it's wise to do that without a solicitor.

Thanks, maybe not wise, but possible. I've done a lot of the work myself already and don't have an appetite for potentially getting ripped off by a solicitor if not a lot extra is being added, unless anyone can recommend one who has reasonable fees in line with what's being done.

Otherwise I'd love to hear from anyone who's done it.

If so, can you PM me?

As a new user, you won't be able to send or receive PMs.

If you are fully au-fait with the process, checks required and risks involved, you should be in a good place to negotiate a price so you are not ripped off?

What would you consider a reasonable fee?

If you are fully au-fait with the process, checks required and risks involved, you should be in a good place to negotiate a price so you are not ripped off?

What would you consider a reasonable fee?

With or without being fully au-fait with the process etc, this shouldn't cost more than €200. We're talking about a property with no charge on it, and no other change except the name. And very easy money for a solicitor at that.

With or without being fully au-fait with the process etc, this shouldn't cost more than €200. We're talking about a property with no charge on it, and no other change except the name. And very easy money for a solicitor at that.

There aren't too many professionals who would take on that amount of work and put their liability insurance on the line for that little.

Ah now- where do I start?

What does the solicitor do? Assuming they are willing to take on, as a client, someone who has a pre-conceived notion of how simple a task is without actually knowing anything about it? And who thinks €200 is a reasonable fee?

Only because I'm waiting on a call in a few minutes but, otherwise, twiddling my thumbs.............

1. Request Title Deeds.
2. When asked why?- advise that that is necessary to review them.
3. Overlooking the irritated sigh.........Receive Deeds and review them. Review terms of Separation.
4. Raise pointers-queries on issues that may, or may not, arise.
5. When told to ignore them, if they arise- not interested in advice, just wants the job done- consider whether really wants to act for someone like this. Especially when , if advice is ignored, file comes back to bite when, in contemplation of a sale, said client conveniently forgets that bit.
6. Advise client that other party needs to be separately represented - hold phone away from ear as client rails on , in a high pitched voice about all of the following
  • avaricious,
  • grasping,
  • rapacious,
  • materialistic,
attributes of all solicitors- including the one acting for them.

7. If still willing to act (but sorely tempted to pay said client €200 to go elsewhere) draft necessary Deed or Transfer- depending on the title.

8. Have client execute same and send to other solicitor, together with request for Family Law declaration, for execution.

9. Raise invoice for quite a bit more than €200 and ask for payment before proceeding any further. Resist temptation to slap said client when aspects of item 6 above are re-visited.

9. Stamp and register title.

10. Return Deeds neatly scheduled to client.

11. Close file, store for requisite period (12 years) .

Yup- easiest €200 ever earned.

The End

mf

mf1 I'm not sure what any of what you said means. Who are you addressing? Thanks.. I guess?

Just to address your points when I cut thru the sarcasm, there's no problem getting deeds, why would that be a problem? My ex-wife does have representation, that's not an issue. I'm not looking for a solicitor to review the terms of the separation, we are both quite happy with them. There's no issue here except a name change on a house that has already been in our ownership. I've done a certain amount of my own work and I don't think it's a big ask that I could get someone to give me a minor amount of help with that at a non-exorbitant rate.

How about recommending someone that would do this?

I think you're hella naive if you think there's no solicitors out there in this completely unregulated business that are materialistic, avaricious etc. Seriously.

Yup- easiest €200 ever earned.
Absolutely. If you had 5 a week you'd be made up. That'd be 50 grand a year you're making. You only have to pay rent, your professional indemnity insurance, a few other expenses, and the remaining 1 grand would be pure profit that you could pay yourself a salary out of.. wait a minute, I think you're going to need to do at least 2 a day if you want to eat... Make it 3 just in case you want somewhere to live.

I certainly hope the 200 doesn't include VAT.

there's no problem getting deeds, why would that be a problem?

MF1 is a solicitor, I'm sure talking from experience.

mf1 I'm not sure what any of what you said means. Who are you addressing?

That's the outline of the work required to transfer title. If representing yourself, just replace the solicitor's frustrated comments with your own internal dialogue.

Things can and do go wrong with these transactions, given your ex has representation, you can be sure that should something go wrong here, you will bear the brunt.

OK thanks for that advice. I was just trying to make the point that I had actually put time into it and it would be nice to have that reflected in a solicitor's fee if I did choose that route. Maybe I've just had particularly bad experiences.

I was just trying to make the point that I had actually put time into it and it would be nice to have that reflected in a solicitor's fee if I did choose that route. Maybe I've just had particularly bad experiences.

You may indeed have been unlucky, but part of the challenge here is that your work has to be re-done by the solicitor. They can't put their insurance on the line if they haven't verified the minutia.

Back