Changing jobs pension query

Discussion in 'Public sector pensions' started by martin80, Mar 6, 2017.

  1. martin80

    martin80 New Member


    I am currently employed in the civil service and I have 9 years service in a Defined Benefit pension scheme. I am resigning my position to take up employment with a commercial semi state body. This commercial semi state body has a Defined Contribution scheme for new entrants but also has a Defined Benefit Scheme for existing employees. I have been told that I will have to join the Defined Contribution scheme as I am a new entrant.

    My question is am I really a new entrant? Does my 9 years service in the civil service mean that I can transfer my service and join the Defined Benefit scheme that they operate for existing employees?

    All replies are welcome!