VHI Changing from PMI 3613?

Steelstown

I’ve been on the VHI plan PMI 3613 for the last two years which is coming up for renewal shortly. I was thinking of changing to PMI 4115. However, I notice that both plans have increased their prices this year to €1247 and €1254, respectively. I note that while both are very similar plans, the optical outpatient benefits (which I use reasonably frequently) are slightly better on PMI 4115.

Seeing that there is very little price difference between the two plans, is it worth my while changing?

God forbid, if I developed some medical condition, would I have to wait for a long period if I moved to PMI 4115?

Or is there some similar plan to the above from the other health insurance companies (or maybe another one within the VHI) that is cheaper than either of the above?

Hi Steelstown,

Welcome to AAM.

This previous thread is similar to the question you ask so maybe you will find some helpful info therein
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...adult-and-young-adult-24.197133/#post-1456668

When you say the optical benefits are slightly better they sure are slightly

Optical

PMI 3613
75% up to €90 every 2 years; €1 outpatient excess

PMI 4115
">
75% of charges up to €100 every 12 months for eye tests and glasses/contact lenses

[broken link removed]

Hopefully one of our knowledgeable contributors snowyb will see this thread and possibly give you more advice on shopping elsewhere i.e. other than VHI.

I'm probably goin to stick with the 3613 meself because the changes are so slight between the two plans.

Hi Steelstown,

The hospital cover is identical on both plans so if you do switch to PMI 41 15 there will be no waiting for surgery or treatment.
Regarding the optical cover, if you are under 50 years the extra optical cover will apply straight away, no waiting.
If you are over 50 yrs and under 65 yrs, VHI will impose a 1 year waiting time for the extra optical cover.
If you are over 65yrs, VHI will impose a 2 year waiting time for the extra optical cover.
Just something to be aware of when switching.

Laya Healthcare have no waiting times for outpatient cover, regardless of age, even if you are upgrading outpatient cover.
The following plan is worth considering as an alternative to PMI 36 13 or PMI 41 15;

Simply Connect Plus plan; price 1099pa; similar hospital cover as before, max private/hi-tech hospital excess 150 x 1 per year, private/hi-tech day
case excess is 50 euro per visit, good outpatient cover - max total refund per year is 500, optical cover on this plan is 50% refund(upto 500 max) each year. I'm not sure if this works out to your advantage based on your optical expenses.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Back