changing from petrol to diesel...help

Angrygirl

Hi all

I've had petrol cars for the past 11 years since starting to drive, i have a lil 1l 96 Micra at the moment as i was only doing 13 miles a day, however, i will be moving back to my own property in 6 weeks and will still be working in the same place which will be a 80 mile round trip each day so i'm looking to change my car for a diesel..
I've never had a diesel so i am clueless on this, my friends husband has a 98 1.8 tdi passat.
How would this compare to the petrol 1l i'm driving at the moment? i know obv the engine size is going up a good bit but would the car being a diesel work out cheaper on milage

I've been looking around for a 1.3diesel but they are hard to come across second hand

Thanks for your help

sorry obv means obviously (i was on my phone at the time and used predictive text)

My friends husband has offered me the passat for €1,000 and i was thinking if this worked out cheaper than petrol i would go for it

I don't really mind the size/year of the car, initially i was thinking of a 1.4 diesel at most but he said that the 1.8tdi would still be cheaper than a 1l petrol but i wasn't sure

thanks for your help

I have never heard of a Passat 1.8 diesel. I assume you mean 1.9 or 2L.

The road tax on this car will alot higher. Probably around €550. You insurance may increase also. You should always check this with your insurer if you are thinking of a particuliar car how that car will affect your premium.

I would stick with looking for a 1.4 to 1.6L diesel. I dont know what your budget is but if you could afford a 2008+ car your roadtax would only be a €104.
Maybe drive your own car for another couple of years then buy a 08 diesel which will much cheaper then thus saving you money in the long run.

Diesel over petrol is a no brainer.

For god sake don't buy a small diesel. I had a loan of a Quasqui 1.5D for a week and it broke my heart. I had to change gear 4 times between 0 and 30. Small engines with no torque, a 6 speed gear box and a car that handles like its suspension was made out of wet cardboard.

Stick to the passat (or any 1.9D saloon that isn’t French; Renault, Nissan or Peugeot, Citroen’s are good). It might be boring but it will be comfortable and you won't end up setting fire to it.

Angrygirl, I have always had diesels, a carina, a golf, then a passat, and in 2006 I bought the Corlla hatchback 1.4 diesel and I will drive it forever, I love it. Cas previous poster said, if you can get a 2008+ one the tax will be only 104 I think but even for older ones, my model goes back to 2004 I think and the tax is 330 which is not too bad, passat used to cost me nearly 600 which was a large part of the reason I got rid of it, that and it needs timing belts changed which the corolla does not, that was 800 quid every now and again which comes round quicker than you think when youre commuting to work. The corolla has a common rail engine (don't ask me) but no timing belt to be changed, so mind us 4 years old and has cost me nothing, I drive 30 miles to work, it has 98k on it now, has never cost me more than 175 for a service, and it does about 420 miles on a tank, I know because if fill it I get to work and back at least 7 ti
es and that's a 60 mile round trip.

Sorry to go on a bit but it's the best little diesel car ever!

Sorry for spelling, iPod writes it's own words!!

That last line was that it gets me to work and back 7 times....60 mile round trip, 1 tank

I have been thinking of changing to diesel too but based on the last poster may reconsider.
I have a 1.4 Corolla petrol and get 380 a fill - (usually 45 litres). I also do a 60 mile round trip to work.

Well, i'm not including a bit of scooting around atthe weekend in that so prob a bit more than the 420 but you're petrol sounds very good too so I'd prob hold on to it if I were you unless you were going to get a new one and avail of the cheaper tax as well.

I have a Peugot 308 tdi 1.6l and do around 850km a week for just over half a tank. Peugot diesals are great, very nippy

I have a Peugot 308 tdi 1.6l and do around 850km a week for just over half a tank. Peugot diesals are great, very nippy

Thanks a mill everyone for all your advise, i really appreciate the help with this

Mpsox - jeez fancy selling ur 308?? :D:D

I changed from a one litre petrol Yaris to a 2.0ltr Audi tdi. The insurance doubled, (from 1ltr to 2ltr and double the value of car) but the tax was the same or less (from what I recall at the time)

I used to put 30/35 euro petrol per week into the Yaris, but got away with 25 per week per week diesel. One of the displays on the dash showed that when I was on the N7, I would be using 4.8l or 4.5l per 100km, which is very low.

The older the car, the higher the running costs will be. The newer generation of diesels are very fuel efficient and cheaper on road tax.

Would never go back to petrol now.

If you are buying something older, I had heard that the Corrolla 1.4d is good, as Hippy says above.

No, you can't have my Peugot, I like it too much !!

2 other things you needs to consider if making a long commute, one is safety and the thought of making the commute you are looking to do in a little Micra would scare the living daylights out of me. You need something a bit bigger and stronger. Secondly is reliability, the last thing you need to do is break down in the motorway and I'd be nervous about buying a car for a grand from a friend and then doing those sort of miles on it. At the very least get a mechanic to check it out before hand

As has been said, the decision petrol vs diesel is a no brained. I have a 2l BMW that usually does 1,000 - 1,100 kms per tank whereas I used to get only about 600 kms from a 2l petrol car I had previously.

If you're journey length is increasing then do consider a heavier bigger car - I was thankful i was in a heavy car earlier this year when an out of control truck crashed into me, destroying the car but I only had minor cuts and scratches from broken glass. And I only have a 20 mile trip to work.

Thanks again guys, stuff to think of there that i hadn't previously thought of so i appreciate the help
(80 mile round trip in a micra who loves to drink petrol defo isn't ideal so i'll go with the bigger stronger car for sure)

For god sake don't buy a small diesel. I had a loan of a Quasqui 1.5D for a week and it broke my heart. I had to change gear 4 times between 0 and 30. Small engines with no torque, a 6 speed gear box and a car that handles like its suspension was made out of wet cardboard.

Stick to the passat (or any 1.9D saloon that isn’t French; Renault, Nissan or Peugeot, Citroen’s are good). It might be boring but it will be comfortable and you won't end up setting fire to it.

I beg to differ with your opinion on small diesel engines
You drove a Quasqui with an engine designed for a Megane

I drive a SEAT Cordoba 1.4 Tdi Sport ( 80bhp version)
Prior to this I owned Mondeo 1.8 zetec petrol... Nissan Primera 1,8 petrol...Opel Vectra 2.0
In fact the majority of my previous cars were around 2.0 petrol engines..
Back to my current car,,
Absolutely brilliant..
Plenty of poke
Plenty or torque
More than fast enough
Miser on diesel
104 tax.

This car would pull my mondeo sideways.:D

Dont listen to people bashing a small diesel engined car.
Go drive one and satisfy your own curiosity
Unfortunately I have my one sold and am handing it over in 2 weeks time
There is one similar for sale on carzone 2008

Go and take a drive in it.
You wont regret it

Yaay for the small diesels!! I have the 1.4d4d yaris and it will go like the clappers if i ask it to and does 800 miles to a tank! (When not driven like the clappers...)
"Out of my cold dead hands!!"

Back