changing flights at Heathrow

tomthumb

just about to book a flight to Washington from London. Will be flying from Dublin to Heathrow and then Heathrow to Washington DC. Can anyone give me an idea of how much time to allow at Heathrow so as not to cut it too tight if the Dublin flight is late out? At the mo the cheapest option gives a 1 1/2 hour gap at Heathrow but is that too tight I wonder? Thanks

Hi Tomthumb

Am I right in understanding that you are booking all this and you are booking it in 2 separate units? ie not Dublin - washington and an option over heathrow but rather you have a flight from heathrow and now you are booking the dublin leg? Anyway, if this is the case usually when I fly to the states via heathrow I have a 2 hr layover however that is more than enough time for a transfer. Our company also received an email recently from our travel company asking us to check in for american flights 2.5 hrs beforehand (!!!) Should your flight be on time 1.5 hrs should be fine. Unfortunately there is no guarantee regarding the inbound flight being on time. Do you have an option for a longer transfer?

Hi,
I have family living in DC, I have done that trip about 20 times....1.5 hours in the summer is v v tight!!! I try and give 3 hours, bearing in mind it is terminal 1 - 4. Also I have also regularly had at least 1 hour delay on the plane in Dublin,,,for stress purposes I try and give myself 3 hours, thats just my opinion,cheers,,,

tomthumb said:
just about to book a flight to Washington from London. Will be flying from Dublin to Heathrow and then Heathrow to Washington DC. Can anyone give me an idea of how much time to allow at Heathrow so as not to cut it too tight if the Dublin flight is late out? At the mo the cheapest option gives a 1 1/2 hour gap at Heathrow but is that too tight I wonder? Thanks

two hours at bare minimun... i'd leavel 3-4 if possible (in case flight 1 is delayed)

thanks folks, thought it might be too tight! Do I have to change terminals? Have several other options for longer times to change so will go for that, many thanks again!

Tomthumb - If you're flying on BA you'll be going from Terminal 4, if you're going on Virgin or United it will be Terminal 3. Aer Lingus & BMI flighs from Dublin arrive in Terminal 1

Both transfers involve a bus (follow the ubiquitous "Flight Connections" signs)

If you're travelling on a through ticket 90 mins is just about okay (as you'll be all checked in in Dublin and if thee airline will sell you a through ticket then the connection is to some extent guaranteed - if they screw up they'll accomodate you) - There are published "minimum connecting times" - I think 90 mins is technically okay for T1-T2 in Heathrow - not sure about T1-T3/4

However if you're travelling on a sparate ticket you may not be able to check in in Dublin for your LHR-Washington flight (you'll probably be able to tag your bags but they might not be able to give you a boarding card) .. this means you'll need more time in Heathrow ... and also and most importantly if you're sticking 2 tickets together yourself to make a connection - if the first flight is late technically you have no comeback if you turn up in Heathow and the flight to Washington is closed for checkin etc.

thats for all that info. Makes it much easier to choose the best way to go, thanks again everyone

Back