Changing Car -what you need for children!

Newbie!

Hi, we're just changing the car and whilst we dont yet have children, we anticipate and hope that we will soon and this car will have serve us all. Is there anything in particular, in terms or seatbelts etc. we need to look for? Anything for clicking in carseat bases etc...

Most are designed to be used with seatbelts so child seats/booster seats etc. shouldn't be a problem.

Only thing to keep in mind is to disable the front passenger air bage if carrying a child seat there.

Older kids need the plugin socket for Nintendo etc. (won't appy to you for a long time!)

If you have smaller children make sure that three car seats will fit in the three rear seats! Bring in all your car seats and try them.

If the car has an Isofix connection in the rear seats, you would be able to buy an isofix-friendly car seat in the future. Never used one but I understand it makes it easier to ensure that the child seat is fitted securely.

Agree about the Isofix - click the car seat in and click it out, it couldn't be simpler, no messing around with seat belts.

Leather seats are handy too as you can wipe them clean.

Keep an eye on boot size - the bigger the better. Hatchbacks give easier access.

I bought an Isofix base for use with a baby carrier and used it with no problems for my first child. When using it with my second child, the mechanism attaching it to the isofix link thing malfunctioned, meaning the base couldn't be removed from the car. I had to get a mechanic to cut it out of the car. Just outside the warrenty of course.

Saying that, it's better to have it jam in the safe position rather than the unsecured position.

Modern car seats are huge. You can't fit three of them in the back of an average car. One seat for a toddler takes up more space than an adult.

my 09 has no way to access boot without actually using the key itself, pure pain (although I'm told its common) but its a pain, have three kids....always had a push button/boot pull down beside drivers door.

Bear in mind that once they start going to school they will graduate to booster seats. Check that three standard booster seats fit accross the back.

Also check that the boot will accomodate buggies , travel cots etc.

Modern car seats are huge. You can't fit three of them in the back of an average car. One seat for a toddler takes up more space than an adult.
+1
For some reason the centre seat in a car is much smaller. A few inches more on that and less on the two outside ones would be much handier!
Seat height is another thing to consider. You don't want to be doing your back in lifting the kids in and out!

Back