Laya Changed to cheaper scheme to save on premiums

B

busysaver

We have been with Laya for a number of years and always covered by private health insurance but this year we decided to try and reduce our premium costs by opting for a cheaper scheme but staying with Laya. We understood that we would have to pay an excess of € 125 for each hospitalised treatment and if carried out in Private hospital and extra € 200 per night. The problem is when I rang them about an overnight procedure my Doctor wanted me to have - they began to question me about when this illness started - before or after we changed the scheme ! Has anyone else experienced this / surely we are covered for any previous or new illness ? Any help appreciated, Thanks

I would say its a standard question, as some people may be upgrading or still serving waiting times.

Did they confirm if you are covered or not?
As a matter of interest, what two plans are involved?

I would think its a routine initial question, but it should be quickly followed with reassurance as to what you're covered for regarding
levels of hospital cover etc. Once you have health insurance continuous for 5 years, you are covered for pre-existing conditions and
new conditions ( assuming you were under 55yrs when you joined.) As regards level of hospital cover, it would depend on the plan you are on.

Snowyb

Last edited:
I would say its a standard question, as some people may be upgrading or still serving waiting times.

Did they confirm if you are covered or not?
As a matter of interest, what two plans are involved?

I would think its a routine initial question, but it should be quickly followed with reassurance as to what you're covered for regarding
levels of hospital cover etc. Once you have health insurance continuous for 5 years, you are covered for pre-existing conditions and
new conditions ( assuming you were under 55yrs when you joined.) As regards level of hospital cover, it would depend on the plan you are on.

Snowyb
Thanks Snowyb - you are probably right - they just caught me off guard !
Unfortunately I have 2 procedures to have dealt with - the less urgent one was the one I rang about and I said it was a new condition, so they said
I would be covered. But now I have a condition that needs more urgent treatment, it is something I had treatment for 20 years ago but has come back again. ( I have been Privately Insured continuously since age 30 - now 66 ) Would appreciate if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Back