Change HD to SSD

I've had an Asus AIO desktop for about a year. Have used it very little, but it has become gradually slower and slower to open. Very little loaded on to it. Have tried everything as suggested on line to improve speed . I'm thinking of having the 1TB HD (Toshiba MQ04ABF100) changed for a SSD . Wondering what the cost might be to do this.
I use a Chromebook for general use.

Clearing out the browser and re-installing Windows will also help. If you know what you are doing. You could start with that.

That machine seems to newish but very low powered CPU. The main bottleneck on that machine is the CPU and you can't change that.
These days just browsing the web, especially with something like Chrome requires a bit of oompff. Same with YouTube or cloud apps. That CPU is bare minimum.

A SSD will help since the browser caches to the HD/SSD a lot. But its never going to be quick. NMVE is a faster SSD. Looks like RAM/Stick of Gum.
On such a low power machine (doing basic tasks) I'm not sure you'd see any noticeable speed difference between a Sata SSD and NVME.

If you are confident about opening it up. The SATA port HD/SSD is on the side facing out.
But the NVME is on the other side of the motherboard. You'd have to take out the motherboard to fit that.

Not in english but shows the SATA HD/SSD port - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viFcefrMrkc&ab_channel=HokaComputer
Not in english but shows the NVME port - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDIemf9q6gE&ab_channel=HokaComputer

Last edited:
Full Fat Linux isn't any faster than Full Fat Windows.

If you run a Linux lite then sure, but then you need to know a bit of Linux.
Personally I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle.

I know the OP said they didn't want to change hardware. But if speed is the issue. A user older machine for not much money would run rings around this one.

"The original poster wants to keep using the existing hardware so that's not really a useful or relevant suggestion."

I responded to his joke with one of my own. Your post inadvertently broke the flow. Banter not allowed any more or the preserve of the few?

My favourite for old/under spec'd hardware these days is Zorin OS Lite (16.2 is the latest) which is a derivative of Ubuntu but a lot nicer to use that Ubuntu (and its horrible desktop and invasive advertising) especially for those most comfortable with Windows.

And, when I try to download Zorin OS Lite, at this link: https://free.download.zorinos.com/16/Zorin-OS-16.2-Lite-64-bit.iso

I get the following:

502 Bad Gateway​

nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)

:mad:

In which (or whose) direction should I point my rusty blunderbuss?

The Zorin OS 16.2 Lite download link on this page works fine for me.

And, when I try to download Zorin OS Lite, at this link: https://free.download.zorinos.com/16/Zorin-OS-16.2-Lite-64-bit.iso

I get the following:

502 Bad Gateway​

nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)

:mad:

In which (or whose) direction should I point my rusty blunderbuss?

Not a promising start.

Not a promising start.

One wonders who is laughing now, or does it stretch one's sense of humour. To use the free software, start out with a paid-for Windows licence or a free licence for macOS.

If the main download link doesn't work then try a different mirror.
Do people really think that the likes of Microsoft and Apple are somehow immune from temporary server overload and outages? :rolleyes:

Its new release AFAIK only a few days old I'm sure the servers are being hammered. I got the ISO most of the time I tried.

This Zorin looks interesting. Would it work on older laptops? I have a couple of laptops from around 2005 and a hand me down laptop from around 2015. All fairly slow by now.

The previous version worked fine on what I tried it on. But it's not going to turn a Lada into a Ferrari.

That said I've not really had a problem running Windows on anything that's half decent either.

This Zorin looks interesting. Would it work on older laptops? I have a couple of laptops from around 2005 and a hand me down laptop from around 2015. All fairly slow by now.
Revive your old PC.

We've streamlined the Zorin OS Lite edition to work on computers as old as 15 years. With it, you can keep using your PC for longer to save money on upgrades and reduce e-waste to help the environment.
There are other lightweight Linux distributions too but some are very bare bones and may assume familiarity with Linux details/nuances.

If the main download link doesn't work then try a different mirror.
Do people really think that the likes of Microsoft and Apple are somehow immune from temporary server overload and outages? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the mirrors.

As for the rest, I can only speak for me and I've been using PCs since the mid-1840s (MS DOS version 3.0!) and have never encountered a Microsoft overload or outage. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket!

Reactions: jpd
How is mentioning something once an obsession?

Its Microsoft service, servers around the world etc. Has plenty of outages, as do their other services.

If you've downloaded anything from Microsoft in the last decade its probably hosted on 365/SharePoint/Azure.

But why the obsession with MS365? I don't use it; never have and never will.
You may think that you don't use it but you might be surprised. Anyway, I mentioned it originally because it was the most recent high profile Microsoft outage earlier this year. @AlbacoreA merely happened to mention a more recent outage. Hardly anything obsessive....

Back