Health Insurance Change from public patient to private

@54321

My father was recently admitted to hospital with a minor issue. He has health insurance but when he was asked did he wish to use his insurance he opted to be go public as he said he had read something his insurance sent him that they would be charged a large figure per night and he felt he was entitled to be treated as a public patient.

To cut a long story short it was discovered he needed major surgery which had to be done in Dublin. He was transferred to Dublin and had his surgery but he thought he had switched to his insurance as in both hospitals he was asked on a few occasions for his insurance details but after questioning him he did say he never signed any forms. He is making a good recovery thankfully and from what I have read you must sign the insurance form when admitted. I would like to know has anyone changed over to their insurance during their stay and how do you do this?

I changed my daughter’s (young adult) inpatient stay over midway through a 10 day admission. Day 5 of admission they said she would need 6 full weeks of IV antibiotics so I decided to change from public to private in the hopes that she would get a private room. Luckily by day 10 she was discharged as she qualified for OPAT and was able to get the IV treatment at home. I said I wanted to change to private and someone from admissions arrived with the form for me to sign. I was speaking to Laya last week and the have received no claim from the hospital yet (she was sick in May).

He thought the insurance company would be charged approx €800 a night if he signed the form.

I changed my daughter’s (young adult) inpatient stay over midway through a 10 day admission. Day 5 of admission they said she would need 6 full weeks of IV antibiotics so I decided to change from public to private in the hopes that she would get a private room. Luckily by day 10 she was discharged as she qualified for OPAT and was able to get the IV treatment at home. I said I wanted to change to private and someone from admissions arrived with the form for me to sign. I was speaking to Laya last week and the have received no claim from the hospital yet (she was sick in May).
That is good to know that you were allowed to change on Day 5

Back