Change from car to bus? Any Incentives?

DreamingOf

Hi,
I recently began renting a house about 30mins from the city and drive in to work - it takes about an hour & the cost is increasing weekly now at €60 for petrol to make this commute.
I am looking at the cost of getting a bus and return tickets are about €13. Simple maths here and €13*5=€65. Therefore I am already €5 down and loose the 'freedom'.

Is there any incentives out there to change from a car to a bus?
Is there 'commuter' tickets? Or is there anything Employers can do to help out?

Thanks in advance
(and if this post is more suitable elsewhere, please feel free to suggest)

where did you get the 13 euro from?

if you check out dublinbus.ie you will see that they have several ticket options including an incentive for employers to offer cheaper tickets to their employees. did you ask your employer if they have something in place?

the same website also advertises:

Rambler 30 Day Adult €105.00

• Valid for unlimited travel for 30 non-consecutive days
  • Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
  • No CIE photo ID required
that's € 3.50 a day return = € 17.50 a week. definetely cheaper than a car plus if you're planning to get rid of your car altogether (just throwing it out there) you also save on road tax & insurance.

Which city? Presumably it's Dublin and you're using Bus Eireann? The taxsaver is great and depending on your tax rate could save you nearly half the cost of the ticket. You should also remind your company that they save on employer PRSI also.

Thanks alaskaonline,
I live in Cork and the city I was referring to is Cork City.
But I will enquire with my employer if they have anything similar in place re. bus companies offering cheaper tickets to their employees & it will be helpful to reference Dublin Bus.

Thanks scuby - I will def. look into this.

Thanks dereko1969
No, its Cork City but I assume that information still holds. Thanks for that - I will def. look into this.

Hi again all
I just checked http://www.taxsaver.ie/ and unfor my local town is not mentioned on the Cork Suburban Map (it only goes as far as Ballincollig & Cork Airport).
It takes me 10 minute drive to Bandon - I wonder is there something I can avail of if I get the bus from there to Cork?
Also, I see its really for Monthly or Annual tickets. Is there anything for me who would ideally need to drive a couple of days, and take the bus other days?
Currently I envisage I will have to drive 2 days a week and then get the bus 3 days a week (but other days it may have to increase to driving 3 days etc...)

There is the added benefit of lower mileage and wear-and-tear on your car. Also car insurance is lower when your mileage is lower.

I don't think taxsaver lists all the services, is there a bus eireann bus going from your local town to Cork City? I'd ask Bus Eireann if there's a monthly/annual ticket.

Some companies sell 10 journey tickets which might be more suitable for you but you'd need to do the sums on whether or not the taxsaver ticket might still be an option for you.

Back