chance of getting permission for house in garden

C

caitriona-2

Hi,
I'm just trying to find out what the chances are of getting permission for a house in my parents garden. They live in an estate at the end of a block of houses facing the main road of the estate. The side and back garden wall run down into a cul de sac. They have already significantly extended their own property but still have a sizeable garden. Our plan was to build a 3 bedroomed house at the bottom of the garden facing out into the cul de sac (in line with the other houses). The house would be built against the garden side wall of the first house in the cul de sac. They however have a conservetory built onto the side of their home. Also the back of the proposed house would meet the back garden wall of another house. There would only be a very small courtyard to the front of the house that will be walled in (so from the road you won't be able to see the front door) and most windows will face into my parents garden. Would there be any chance permission will be granted due to the conservetory and the garden of the other property?? Sorry for the long winded post. Complicated set of circumstances so any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Caitriona.

This is difficult to answer without seeing your site or proposals on paper.

It is quite possible to build another house in your parents back garden, subject to maintaining minimum gardens areas etc. Many people have done it.

I would recommend that you arrange a "Pre-planning meeting" with a Planner at your Local Authority. Its free and the Planner ill be familiar with your area, similiar developments etc.

Some Councils require you to fill out a form and submit a copy of a OS map of your parents estate. Appointment usually takes 4 weeks. Ring your local Planning Department for full details.

Good luck.

+1 what RKQ has said - a picture is worth a thousand words.

We don't usually see pictures on AAM at least I seldom see any posted and it might be mentioned in the posting FAQ. You'd have a get a map or a google earth image, post it somewhere that accepted images or allowed you to put up an album and post a link here.

Its all a bit academic, the posting of pictures - you really need to get someone competent to call around and have a look at the site, the adjoining buildings and densities, what's permitted in the Development Plan, then do a sketch design to analyse the problems and address them for both the new and existing house in terms of reduction of the garden etc., then talk to the planners.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back