Brendan Burgess
Founder
- Messages
- 58,371
Is this from today?
Does this mean that when I sell my rental property at the end of October 2026, I calculate CGT at 31% not 33%, or is that wishful thinking?Yes. "The standard rate of Capital Gains Tax (CGT) in Section 28(3) of the TCA 1997 is being reduced from 33% to 31%. This reduction applies in respect of disposals made on or after 7 October 2026. There will be no change to the 33% rate which applies to the disposal of development land in Section 649Aof the TCA 1997." (source: https://assets.gov.ie/static/docume..._Tax_Policy_Changes_-_Publication_Version.pdf)
This reduction applies in respect of disposals made on or after 7 October 2026.
Does this mean that when I sell my rental property at the end of October 2026, I calculate CGT at 31% not 33%,
Gonna be a challenge for Form 11 if thats the case
they would need to add a third disposal section. In my experience revenue are very slow to update Form 11 and do it correctly. How much notice have they had of this change? Seeing as people would need to be submitting Payslip A (and the new Payslip Aa?) returns in about 55 days it may be a challenge for them to make these changes and properly test it.Why would it be a challenge?
In the form at present, one has to distinguish disposals from 1/1/ to 30/11 from those in December.
Would it not be easy to say
Disposals 1/1/2026 to 6 October 2026
Disposals 7 October 2026 to 30 Nov 2026
Disposals 1/12/26 to 31/12/26
Just making sure, as rarely anything the government says or does is clear...It seems clear. You pay at 31%
The tenant signed last Friday, but I have yet to sign, should be this Friday when I do.. so that would be the date of contract (9th Oct), so should pay 31% thenes, if you are only signing the contract now it is 31%
Has this been stated as policy?Target 25 percent by budget 2029