CGT - foreign currency transactions - FIFO calculations

Bluebeard

Does anyone have a way (e.g. a macro) for calculating FIFO gains/losses in euros, where personal amounts are spent in foreign currencies?

Due to travel and other activities outside Ireland I have hundreds of non-euro transactions each year; in principle each expenditure, however small, is the disposal of a chargeable asset (with some limited exceptions). I have not found any easy way of automating in a spreadsheet the determination of the historic FIFO cost in euros of the acquisition cost of each unit of foreign currency.

Maybe someone here has come across a solution to this problem.

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for but I have a macro that pulls live FX rates from Yahoo Finance and imports them into a spreadsheet. They can then be used to calculate values in €.

Now that I've made that post I can use links in my posts! :)

This link will create a CSV file for you: [broken link removed]

You can add whatever you want into the link; currency, equities, anything that is listed on Yahoo Finance.

I then used a Visual Basic macro which is automatically executed every time my Excel spreadsheet is opened which copies all the content from the CSV file into my spreadsheet.

Thanks Daniel - no that was not what I meant.

What I meant might be illustrated by imagining having a foreign currency bank account, say sterling, with numerous debit/credit entries during the year.

Now suppose you make one particular withdrawal, and you need to calculate the historical GBP/EUR exchange rate at which those GBP funds were originally obtained in GBP. In other words you need to work out which GBP lodgements into that bank account made up (on a FIFO basis) the funds being withdrawn, and the exchange rates attributable to each of those lodgements. From this you caculate whether you made a CGT gain or loss in EUR on the GBP funds being withdrawn. If you have a small number of transactions this is not a problem, but with many transactions it is complete PITA. I am looking for some way of automating it.

Question to Bluebeard - are you trading or in business? If so then you don't have to do a CGT calculation for each fx transaction as you can convert at a daily/monthly average rate and translate at the year end if you have any open currency transactions.

Back