CGT and loss carried forward

pumps

Re CRH Rights Issue March 09. I did not take up this offer and was subsequently sent a cheque for approx 2,000 euro proceeds of sale. Is this taxed as CGT or normal tax? If CGT, can I offset it against a loss carried over from 2007? Do I deduct 1,270 as the exemption first? Also, do I need to return anything to tax man before October 2010?

What was the €2,000 sale proceeds in relation to exactly? Why did you receive this money.

Yes this is a part disposal.

You can set of loss plus the 1270 annual deduction

I would have thought that it was a dividend payment and should be treated as such, not as a capital gain.

There's a long thread about it here.

PS - sorry, just read all the way through that link. Looks like a disposal all right. Doh! I reported it as a dividend. Must get on to Revenue and get some cash back!

Last edited:
Ignore my post above - looks a part disposal alright although I would be interested to see what the official Revenue take on it is.

Thank you for your help. Is it necessary to return details before October 2010, as I will still be carrying forward a loss from 2007? Under these circumstances is it definitely ok to take 1270 off the 2000 before setting against larger loss from 07?

The loss must be used up first unfortunately so you will effectively lose the personal exemption for 2008

Back