Certificate of Discharge from Irish Water

Trustmeh

I was wondering if people were aware of this requirement when selling a property?

My solicitor has asked for proof of last IW bill, and a "Certificate of Discharge from Irish Water".

Is this correct? Or is my solicitor being extra careful?

That's correct. The purchaser's solicitor should be insisting on this to ensure their client does not get hit with any unpaid bills.

Ok, didnt see the other thread.

In my case, the house sold was rented out, and the tenants either paid the bill, or protested and didnt pay the bill.

I guess as a landlord, i wasnt aware that this would have impact on me. I was always happy that tenants knew that as long as they put the bill in their names, i could care less if they paid it or not - as it wasnt up to me to make them pay! Now it seems to me, that any landlord would be nutz not to just up the rent to cover the water bills... which i will do on any other properties i have rented.

When I sold my apt earlier this year I had to get one. I had tenants in but they were fully paid up so I got the cert of discharge.

I asked Irish water what would happen if they had not paid and they said they could issue a letter of non liability in those circumstances instead which would satisfy the section 48 requirements.

Edit: I just found what I said above on Irish water website [broken link removed]

If you get left a property in a will are you excluded from having to show any proof as long as you dont then try and sell?

Back