Certain professions not picked for jury service?

S

Simeon

Is it true that certain professions are not picked for jury service? And, are there many of these (professions) in the Dail?

You can read all about it [broken link removed]

Ineligible persons
those involved in any way with the administration of justice. This includes judges, former judges, the President, the Attorney General, the Director of Public Prosecutions, members of the Gardai and defence forces, prison officers, practising barristers, solicitors, court officers such as registrars and personnel in government departments involved in matters of justice or the courts.

TD's and Senators are excused anyway..

Well done Hoagy. Thanks. I think I heard years ago that teachers (if called) are not picked - as their job entails influencing (young) people on a daily basis. They may take this with them to the jury room and be more likely to influence the others.

from citizensinformation website:
Eligibility for Jury Service

Every Irish citizen in Ireland between the ages of 18 and 70 years is eligible for jury service except;
  • Those involved in any way with the administration of justice. This includes judges, former judges, the [broken link removed], the Attorney General, the Director of Public Prosecutions, members of the Gardai and defence forces, prison officers, practising barristers, solicitors, court officers such as registrars and personnel in Government departments involved in matters of justice or the courts.
  • Those who are incapable of serving on a jury by reason of physical or mental illness, those who are in hospital or are obliged to attend hospital on a regular basis, those who are suffering from a disability that would prevent them from serving on a jury such as blindness, deafness or illiteracy.
The rules about eligibility for jury service in Ireland are set down in Section 6 of the Juries Act, 1976.
Disqualification

The following persons are disqualified from jury service:
  • Those who have been convicted of a serious offence in Ireland.
  • Those who have ever been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of five years or more.
  • Those who, within the last ten years, have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three months.
  • People living in Ireland who are not Irish citizens.
Those who are excused as of right

The following persons may be excused as of right from jury service:
  • Persons between the ages of 65 and 70 years.
  • Members of the either House of the Oireachtas (the Irish Parliament), members of the [broken link removed], the [broken link removed], the Clerks of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann, a person in Holy Orders, a minister of any religious denomination or community, members of monasteries and convents, aircraft pilots, full-time students and ship's masters
  • Those who provide an important community service, such as practising doctors, nurses, midwives, dentists, vets, chemists, etc.
  • The following persons if it is certified that their functions cannot reasonably be performed by another person or postponed; members of staff of either House of the Oireachtas, Heads of Government Departments, other [broken link removed], chief executive officers and employees of local authorities, [broken link removed] and harbour authorities, school teachers and university lecturers.
  • Those who have served on a jury within the last three years or who have been excused by a judge at the conclusion of a previous period of service for a period that has not ended.
Other occasions when you may be excused

Other occasions when you may be excused include:
  • The County Registrar or the trial judge may excuse you if he is satisfied that there is "good reason" for doing so.
  • At the end of a case of "an exceptionally exacting nature", the trial judge may excuse the jury from jury service for as long as the judge considers fit.
The rules about ineligibility and disqualification from jury service are set out in Section 7 of the Juries Act 1976 and Section 8 of the Juries Act, 1976.
The Selection of Jurors

All the jury members summonsed must attend in court on the first day the panel is formed. The name of every juror is called out and you must answer to show you are in attendance.
In order to select a panel of twelve jurors for a particular case, names are drawn out of a ballot box. If your name is called, you will go to the jury box and you will be given an opportunity to state if you are ineligible for or disqualified from jury service or if you know any of the witnesses in the case.
Even though you are called for jury service, you may not actually serve. Usually more people than necessary are called. You must return to court every day, whether or not you are sworn onto a jury panel, unless otherwise directed by the court.
Before you give your oath, either side in the case may challenge you. This is simply an objection to a proposed juror. Each side may challenge 7 potential jurors without giving any reason and may challenge any number of jurors if they can "show cause".
If you are challenged without reason being given, you will leave the jury box. If you are challenged with reason, it is the judge who decides whether or not you will serve.
The 12 members of the jury who have been selected will individually swear an oath or affirm that they will properly try the issue and give a true verdict according to the evidence.
When the jury is sworn in and before the case starts, it will select a foreman from its members. The foreman acts as an informal chairperson and spokesperson of the jury.

Teachers are not excluded, but a solicitor may object to the appointment of a teacher to jury, for the reasons outlined above. Pat Kenny had someone on his radio show last year talking about jury selection and this very point was discussed!

Teachers are not excluded.

True but:

The following persons (may be excused as of right from jury service) if it is certified that their functions cannot reasonably be performed by another person or postponed;
members of staff of either House of the Oireachtas,
Heads of Government Departments,
other civil servants,
chief executive officers
employees of local authorities,
Health Service Executives (HSE) areas
harbour authorities,
school teachers
university lecturers.
The list is rather quaint and public service orientated.

Teachers are not excluded, but a solicitor may object to the appointment of a teacher to jury, for the reasons outlined above. Pat Kenny had someone on his radio show last year talking about jury selection and this very point was discussed!

How would the solicitor know that a particular juror is a teacher? In Ireland, the legal teams do not get a chance to question jurors or ask for any personal details about them. Objections are made by either Barrister by visual appearance only prior to the juror being sworn in - each Barrister has a max of 6 objections.

When I was up for jury duty a few years ago it looked like the Barristers referred to some sheet of paper before objecting to people. Since there would be significant data privacy issues (in my view) if this list had anything not in the public domain on it, I thought at the time that it could only have things such as details from the electoral register.

I would be very surprised if it had employment status, etc . . .

z

Barristers referred to some sheet of paper before objecting to people.

Could this be the sheet of paper he wrote down the names on as they were being picked out of the hat?

If you have taught junior or senior infants for 2 years (If I remember correctly) you can not do jury duty.

I did jury service a few years ago and my name,address, age and employment were available to the barristers. Central Criminal Court. AFAIK there was a space for your employment title on the summons, and you filled it out and sent back.

I know two civil service employees who have/are being called at present so surprises me they are on the list of exclusions. The only person I know who successfully 'got off' was a very senior female employee (VP of a large utility) who was refused when saying work needed her, but was granted when saying that her children needed her. She has a nanny and an au pair!

OT, but it was an amazing experience to see how badly jurors were treated.

Back