Cert of Compliance from Architect?

Andy_and_lou

We are getting our attic done in August, we have got an Architect on board to apply for planning for the velux windows, as we want it all above board if we ever plan to sell, anyway the company doing the attic said that the Architect will give us a compliance cert when it is done (Architect/Attic company know each other) Also Attic Company are giving us a dvd of every stage of the attic conversion....anyway my question is, is an architect qualified to give a cert of compliance? I always thought that had to be an engineer?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. it's just I thought when you get a survey done on your house when you buy you use an engineer, I always thought Architects were only to do with plans nothing structural etc.....:confused:

Certificate of Compliance relates to compliance with planning , as far as I'm aware, so it is within architects brief. But he is not saying that the job is structurally sound ! That would be the brief of an Engineer.

Secman

certs of compliance generally have to do with compliance with planning permission (or exemption from same) and building regulations.

Structure is part of the building regulations, so generally it is included in the cert of compliance... unless specifically stated otherwise. Generally, if an architect is apprehensive of a structural element, he will advise the client to engage an engineer to either design the issue out, or to certify that element themselves.

Back