Central Heating & Back Boiler Valves

beginnerdiyer

Recently moved into a new house with an oil boiler and back boiler stove.
Currently it's set up with a basic immermat timer to control the oil boiler heating both sets of rads and hot water all together.
The CH pipework is set up for zones but it only has gate valves on the 3 flow pipes (Up, Down, HW). Looking at upgrading the controls with motorised valves and a smart set of controls. I've looked into it and I'd be fairly confident I could do most of it myself for the main CH set up, but might get someone in to save time.
My question is on the back boiler.
The flow from the back boiler comes in by the HW tank, Ts off into the HW coil (twin coil tank) and continues to join the flow of the main CH. The return comes out of the HW tank and links to the CH return too as far as I can tell, but also has a return route to the BB. The pump for the Oil Boiler has the pump on the return near the boiler.
The pump for the BB is on the flow pipe after the T to the HW on the rads side, and is controlled with a pipe stat located before the T.
At the minute the HW seems to steal a fair bit of the heat (and there's no way to stop it heating the HW) and the rads are slow to heat up. I was considering adding another motorised valve to the flow pipe after the T on the HW side that would be linked to a tank stat and close off the valve when the tank stat reached temperature and divert all heat to the rads.
Would this be something that would work or am I missing something obvious to rule it out that I'm not thinking of?

Back