Central Bank meaningless new amendments on the CPC to facilitate switching

Brendan Burgess

Founder
20 June 2018

New Requirements Introduced to Provide Additional Transparency and Facilitate Mortgage Switching

· New requirements aimed at helping consumers make savings on their mortgage repayments.

· Standardised mortgage switching information for consumers to be introduced

· Following a review, a number of lenders have been instructed to withdraw or amend advertisements relating to mortgage incentives

Following a public consultation process, the Central Bank is introducing changes to the Consumer Protection Code 2012 to help consumers make savings on their mortgage repayments, provide additional protections to consumers who are eligible to switch, and facilitate mortgage switching through enhancing the transparency of the mortgage framework. These changes build on the strong framework of protections already in place for mortgage borrowers, including the transparency measures introduced for variable rate mortgage holders in 2016. The new and enhanced requirements will take effect from 1 January 2019.

The changes follow research by the Central Bank from 2015 which found that, based on the analysis of over half a million mortgages, up to 21% of borrowers could save money by switching. Of those mortgages that could save money by switching, approximately 16,000 could save over €1,000 in the first 12 months, and around 27,000 switchers have the potential to save in excess of €10,000 over the lifetime of the mortgage. Consumer research conducted by the Central Bank in 2017 showed the need for greater transparency in information for consumers which would clearly inform them about the potential savings they could make by switching and the switching process itself.

New and enhanced consumer protection requirements

Six sets of changes are being made to the Consumer Protection Code 2012 as follows:

i. For consumers with fixed rate mortgages, lenders are required to inform their consumers at least 60 days in advance that they are about to come off their fixed rate and provide details of the new rate applicable from the expiry date. The lender should provide information on other possible options that may be available to the consumer.

ii. For consumers on variable rate mortgages (other than on a tracker rate), lenders will be required to notify consumers every year as to whether they can, or cannot, move to a cheaper interest rate as a result of a move in their Loan to Value interest rate band, subject to the provision of an up-to-date valuation and any other requirements that may apply.

iii. In relation to potential switching savings, the changes would require all lenders to provide, on request, an indicative comparison of the total interest payable on the consumer’s existing mortgage and the interest payable on the new mortgage or alternative interest rate on offer by that lender. Where the lender provides this information, they would also be required to provide a link to the relevant section of the CCPC’s website to allow consumers to compare potential mortgage switching savings available from other lenders.

iv. The changes will impose a time-bound mortgage application process on lenders, including requirements to acknowledge receipt of a completed mortgage application within three business days and make a decision within 10 business days following receipt of all required information for assessment of a mortgage application.

v. In relation to incentives, the existing provision in the Code will be extended to apply the same protections to all mortgage holders i.e. for new, existing and switching mortgage holders. This is to ensure that consumers have sufficient clarity about the precise nature and scale of the benefit of an incentive to them, including the potential impact of an associated incentive on the cost of their mortgage.

vi. The standardised pack of switching information from the lender is to at least include the lender’s mortgage switching guide, including prescribed information; application forms; and information on timelines, mortgage process and documents required from the consumer.

In relation to the advertising of incentives, the Code already contains an extensive suite of advertising rules with which regulated firms must comply. The Central Bank recently undertook a review of advertisements by mortgage lenders, specifically in the context of incentives. On foot of this review, and following instruction from the Central Bank, 75% of advertisements reviewed were required to be withdrawn or amended.

Gráinne McEvoy, Director of Consumer Protection, said:

“The consumer protection rules we are announcing today are focused on assisting consumers with lowering their mortgage repayments, where possible. Our research has shown that one in five mortgage holders could save money by switching their mortgage, and that significant numbers can make substantial savings.

While information to help consumers compare mortgage rates is widely available, including the CCPC’s online mortgage comparison tool, our research also shows that some of the reasons people don’t switch their mortgage is because they don’t realise how much money they could save and also find it difficult to compare mortgages. These changes are aimed at making it easier for consumers to obtain this key information so that they are able to easily identify whether they are able to make savings by switching their mortgage, and make the process quicker and easier to complete if they do decide to switch.”

ENDS

For further information, please contact:

Media Relations- [email protected] / 01 2246299

Cónán Ó Broin, Media Relations Officer- [email protected] / 0864115650

Notes

· The Central Bank published a consultation paper on Enhanced Mortgage Measures: Transparency and Switching (CP112) in August 2017 for a three month public consultation period. Read submissions received and the Central Bank’s feedback statement here [Note: available at 12 noon].

· Further information on the enhanced transparency measures for variable rate mortgage holders introduced by the Central Bank in 2016 is available here.

· The Central Bank’s Macro-Financial Review (MFR), published in June 2018, provides some detail on switching activity in the Irish mortgage market (see Box 4 MFR 2018 I, June 2018). In 2017, 3,000 primary dwelling home (PDH) mortgage holders switched their mortgage. The analysis in the MFR Box notes that “those switching mortgage provider do so relatively early in the loan life cycle, have relatively low leverage (LTV and LTI), and are primarily located in the Dublin region”. In 2017, those who switched mortgage provider had, on average, a mortgage size outstanding of €221,488, a property value of €413,884 and combined gross income of €101,116. The loan term outstanding was 22 years on average while the interest rate was 3.2 per cent. Further, among those who switched, the average borrower age was 41 years and a large proportion of the switching population were in Dublin and the broader Leinster region.

· The Central Bank is amending the Consumer Protection Code 2012 to add these enhanced transparency regulations by publishing an Addendum to the Code. The regulations set out in the Addendum will apply to regulated entities from 1 January 2019.

· The Central Bank has also published an infographic and explainer (attached) to raise consumer awareness and understanding of the new and enhanced mortgage switching rules.

Statement from the Fair Mortgage Rates Campaign

Yet again, the Central Bank has shown that it has no interest in doing anything at all about high mortgage rates in Ireland. It wants to give the appearance of doing something, but in reality it supports high mortgage rates so that Irish banks will continue to be profitable. It wants to discourage any foreign lender from entering the market by creating an expensive and pointless regulatory and compliance regime.

These proposed changes will be of no benefit at all to Irish borrowers. It won’t encourage them to switch. It won’t encourage lenders to reduce rates. It will have the opposite effect. It will cost the banks money to comply with these pointless new rules. And these costs will be passed onto mortgage holders by way of higher mortgage rates.

If the Central Bank genuinely wanted to bring Irish mortgage rates down towards the eurozone average, then they could have done just two things which would have made a real difference:

· Prohibit cash back incentives which would make mortgage rates more transparent and force the banks to compete for business on mortgage rates alone

· Require the lenders to pass on rate cuts to existing customers automatically. AIB does this. But other banks such as Bank of Ireland have thousands of customers paying the Standard Variable Rate of 4.5%

Brendan Burgess

20th June 2018

Notes
upload_2018-6-20_14-13-35.png

Source: Central Bank

Approximately, 300,000 Irish borrowers have non-tracker mortgages.

Probably as many as 100,000 of these are paying rates of between 4% and 4.5%. They could reduce the rate simply by calling their bank and choosing a different product. They could reduce it even further by switching.

Must say I very much welcome this development.

While the changes are hardly radical, I do think that the general approach of ensuring that consumers are given appropriate and meaningful information on a timely basis, with a timebound process in place to actually act on that information, is absolutely the right way to go.

I also personally think the Central Bank was right to resist (what I regard as) populist calls from some quarters for price-fixing measures, which never benefit consumers in the long-run, and I don't think the case was ever sufficiently made for an outright ban on cash-back incentives. I also can't see how these measures will impose any material additional costs on lenders and note that the feedback of all lenders was broadly supportive of the proposed measures.

Frankly, I have no sympathy whatsoever for any BOI or PTSB mortgage borrower that is still paying an SVR without availing of the lower cost alternatives. If they don't want to avail of a cheaper rate, well, that's their problem.

We all know the primary reason why mortgage rates are higher here than elsewhere - extraordinary, unresolved levels on non-performing loans. These new measures won't, in and of themselves, reduce mortgage rates but consumers pro-actively switching to the lowest rates on offer in their individual circumstances will certainly help to inject further competitive pressures into our mortgage market. Surely that's a good thing?

I particularly welcome the amendments to the CPC that will introduce new timelines, with statutory underpinning, that banks will now be required to adhere to in terms of providing redemption figures and the drawing down of mortgages. I'm sure that most borrowers that have gone the mortgage switching process recently will testify to the frustrating delays encountered in this regard.

The new measures are pretty much as proposed in the consultation paper, with a few relatively minor tweaks. The Journal.ie has a pretty good summary of the main measures -

http://www.thejournal.ie/mortgage-rules-2-4080581-Jun2018/

All in all, a good day's work by the Central Bank IMO.:)

Last edited:
In relation to potential switching savings, the changes would require all lenders to provide, on request, an indicative comparison of the total interest payable on the consumer’s existing mortgage and the interest payable on the new mortgage or alternative interest rate on offer by that lender.

I'm baffled by how this was written as something that happens "on request". If a consumer knows enough about this stuff to request this, then the chances are that they don't need protection. It's the people that need protection that should get it. The ones that will be enticed by the prospect of a cash-back or low introductory rate without understanding that perhaps it comes at the cost of far higher rates and repayments in the second or later years.

There's only so much you can do for people that refuse to help themselves.

The PTSB CEO recently told the Oireachtas Finance Committee that they have 46,700 customers on SVR mortgages that could get a reduction in mortgage payments by moving to a managed variable rate. PTSB has written to these customers on two separate occasions to inform them of these possible savings and information appears on their annual statements. You can bring a horse to water…

Borrowers are already told their APRs in advance. If they can't understand this basic information then I would query whether they should be taking on such large financial commitments in the first place.

Brandan also helpfully updates a comparison of the effective rates of the various mortgage offers (taking incentives into account) over various time periods.

I particularly welcome the amendments to the CPC that will introduce new timelines, with statutory underpinning, that banks will now be required to adhere to in terms of providing redemption figures and the drawing down of mortgages. I'm sure that most borrowers that have gone the mortgage switching process recently will testify to the frustrating delays encountered in this regard.

Can you point me to where in the new Code it says they must provide the better timelines for providing redemption figures for breaking a fixed rate? This would be v handy but I can't find it!

Can you point me to where in the new Code it says they must provide the better timelines for providing redemption figures for breaking a fixed rate? This would be v handy but I can't find it!
The amendments to the Code don't deal with fixed-rate break costs - they deal with the provision of redemption figures (i.e. details of the exact amount required to fully repay a loan at a particular point in time).

Must say I very much welcome this development.

While the changes are hardly radical, I do think that the general approach of ensuring that consumers are given appropriate and meaningful information on a timely basis, with a timebound process in place to actually act on that information, is absolutely the right way to go.

I also personally think the Central Bank was right to resist (what I regard as) populist calls from some quarters for price-fixing measures, which never benefit consumers in the long-run, and I don't think the case was ever sufficiently made for an outright ban on cash-back incentives. I also can't see how these measures will impose any material additional costs on lenders and note that the feedback of all lenders was broadly supportive of the proposed measures.

Frankly, I have no sympathy whatsoever for any BOI or PTSB mortgage borrower that is still paying an SVR without availing of the lower cost alternatives. If they don't want to avail of a cheaper rate, well, that's their problem.

We all know the primary reason why mortgage rates are higher here than elsewhere - extraordinary, unresolved levels on non-performing loans. These new measures won't, in and of themselves, reduce mortgage rates but consumers pro-actively switching to the lowest rates on offer in their individual circumstances will certainly help to inject further competitive pressures into our mortgage market. Surely that's a good thing?

The new measures are pretty much as proposed in the consultation paper, with a few relatively minor tweaks. The Journal.ie has a pretty good summary of the main measures -

http://www.thejournal.ie/mortgage-rules-2-4080581-Jun2018/

All in all, a good day's work by the Central Bank IMO.:)
Great to see in coming into force at last,

This does not help them save.

This imposes a costly regulatory burden on the lenders and the cost will be passed on to the borrowers.

It also gives the Central Bank an excuse that they are "doing something" when they are doing nothing.

They should
1) Ban cash backs
2) Require lenders to treat existing customers the same as new customers
3) Require lenders to pass on rate cuts for new customers to existing customers
4) Reduce the capital requirements for low Loan to Value mortgages based on the loss history.

These efforts would bring rates down.

Brendan

Back