Central Bank and Ombudsman before the Oireachtas Finance Committee next Thursday

Joan Burton

What about cases which have been sold to Pepper by ptsb.

Completely off topic.

Where do we get these TDs from?

Brendan

you used to be able to see these videos hourly. Would like to watch from start. Are these not available anymore?

I went off 20 minutes ago for lunch and the Deputy Chair seemed to be wrapping up and I have just checked and they are still going!

I see it's just the Chairman and Deputy Chairman present. (There might be a vote in the house.)

Did I miss anything?

Brendan

I went off 20 minutes ago for lunch and the Deputy Chair seemed to be wrapping up and I have just checked and they are still going!

I see it's just the Chairman and Deputy Chairman present. (There might be a vote in the house.)

Did I miss anything?

Brendan

They admitted they would all have got away with it if it wasn't for you and this pesky website...…...

The Chairman has just wrapped up and asked if anyone else had any questions

But there were no other members present.

Brendan

Progress, lads, progress

Previously, all the members had to ask questions and one person could vote for all;
Now, all members have to vote so one person can ask questions for all.

On a serious note, this would be far better approach to the workings of the committee! In spite of weak members and poor questions, the committee has, nonetheless, done the state some service.

Last edited:
Just had a look at some of this properly now.

As ever, McGrath was very solid and today Pearse was simply great. It appears that he wrote to the CB back in May regarding the implications of the out of court settlement made by PTSB and that he has not had a reply - other than an acknowledgement - since then. The purpose of his enquiry is obvious - i.e. whether PTSB needs to make good the cohort impacted by this issue. So two points emerged today.

1. The CB continues to drag its feet - as in, "we are still reviewing this case to determine if it has broader implications." Excuse the French but this is not bloody acceptable.

2. The way Rowland tried to weasel out of the questions today in relation to this and also try to lecture Pearse on fairness was pathetic. Doherty's immense irritation was as plain as day and completely justified.

It is great that McGrath and Doherty are on this committee - some of its other members are very weak.

Last edited:
Back