Ceilings and Hollowcore Slabs

Draff

Hi,

I have installed hollowcore slabs (purchased from Spanwright) in my new two story house.

To run electrical cables etc and fix plasterboard, I was planning to use a wooden grid that would be fixed to the underside of the hollowcore slabs. This is common practice and is how I have seen it done in the past.

After talking to a friend last night, I understand that a lot of people are now replacing the wooden grid with a metal one (which is quicker and easier to install).

Has anybody out there gone for the metal grid option? I would be interested in any experiences that people have and also on the costing as well.

Thanks,

D

Metal is the only way to go, I did it in my house, cost about €1600 all in- labour & materials. The guy used a laser level and it turned out spot on. Wouldn't hesitate in recommening it.

Thanks Millertime..

- what part of the country are you in?
- what was the company called?
- did this include the fixing of the plasterboard to it?
- did you insulate space between the slab and grid?
- what size of area (SQ ft) did you have to cover with this grid?

Cheers,

Dec

A metal based system is really the only job, particularly if you have a significant area to cover- you'll get a flatter ceiling and metal won't shrink or move as the building dries out. Metal shouldn't cost much more than timber. Important note- if using metal (or timber) be sure the air gap is a minimum of 50mm- improves acoustic performance dramatically. If you employ a smaller cavity the acoustic performance can suffer very dramatically and it's very difficult to rectify later.

Carpenter - interesred in the acoustic performance you raise in last post. are u saying that if the distance from the slab to the concrete is greater than 50mm there will be less echo?

10to1 said:
Carpenter - interesred in the acoustic performance you raise in last post. are u saying that if the distance from the slab to the concrete is greater than 50mm there will be less echo?

Yes, we had an acoustic engineer do an appraisal on a new apartment scheme we have started. We are looking to use drylining throughout to get rid of wet trades. Basically if the cavity is less than 50mm the drylining acts like a drum skin and sound reverberates within the cavity, so much so that a construction without a drylining (which already meets the requirements for sound will fail an acoustic test- just because of the lining. OK you lose 50mm on your room, but guaranteed sound performance is more important.

I'm in Galway, it was a cash job by guy who was working on the house next door who did it. It didn't include fixing the plasterboard and I didn't put any insulation in between. I've never seen insulation between the hollowcore and the grid, doubt if it's necessary and would hamper wiring etc..

I did a 110 sq metres according to my plans, about 1200 sq ft

Millertime,

Do you have a ph # for these guys or anyone else who does this? Also any chance someone might have a photo of this grid? I was going to counter batton mine, but this option sounds interesting. Did it take him long to put in the grid?

Salmon

Back