Ceiling light - advice needed

nmda123

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help. I am replacing 2 ceiling lights with low energy LED ones and I have a question on both as the wiring is different!!!

I have one light removed and there are 2 lives, 1 neutral and one earth. The new LED light (pic below) has simply 2 connectors into which I assume I put the 2 lives into one connector and the 1 neutral into the other. There is nowhere for the earth to go, so i was going to connect it to the metal bracket which I screw into the ceiling to hold up the light. Does this make sense?

I was hoping the second ceiling light would answer the question above, but it is even stranger (see pic) - earth, live and 3 x neutral. If the above solution is right, I have no way of connecting 3 neutral wires into one. Maybe I could break up the old light fitting and use the small connectors to reduce the neutral to one wire.

Any advice is very welcome, thanks!
20240525_111340_1.JPG
20240525_110755_1.JPG
20240525_110825_1.JPG

I'm no expert but I think you need a led light driver
Thanks, but surely that would be part of the ceiling light I have bought. It is LED, but just has a connector for just neutral and live and nothing in the instructions about buying a separate driver. My issue is the instructions do not cover any of the situations I have with multiple wires!

Thanks, but surely that would be part of the ceiling light I have bought. It is LED, but just has a connector for just neutral and live and nothing in the instructions about buying a separate driver. My issue is the instructions do not cover any of the situations I have with multiple wires!
have you got 2 light switches for the one light?

Is yours an older house? Looks like you have wiring passing along to other lights and running to switches etc. it’s not real;y done that way anymore but you have to keep it as is or something will stop working, I.e a the light switch, or another light. In both lights it looks like previously the wiring was joined together with little joining blocks. They aren’t part of the actual fitting. You should be able to keep those as is and just wire the one live and one neutral to your light. Eg in your first pic the one blue wire going down should go to your new neutral connection. You are correct, the led driver is in your light fitting.

Is yours an older house? Looks like you have wiring passing along to other lights and running to switches etc. it’s not real;y done that way anymore but you have to keep it as is or something will stop working, I.e a the light switch, or another light. In both lights it looks like previously the wiring was joined together with little joining blocks. They aren’t part of the actual fitting. You should be able to keep those as is and just wire the one live and one neutral to your light. Eg in your first pic the one blue wire going down should go to your new neutral connection. You are correct, the led driver is in your light fitting.
Thanks a million!! Is it OK for the earth to go on the metal bracket that fixes the light to the ceiling? The light I took down had a place to connect that but this new one doesn't.

Thanks a million!! Is it OK for the earth to go on the metal bracket that fixes the light to the ceiling? The light I took down had a place to connect that but this new one doesn't.
Yes, a lot of lights don’t have the earth, but it can just go to the bracket.

Definitely sounds like a job for a qualified electrician.
Good luck with finding one to do a 30 min job like this.

Make sure you have the power turned off at the mains & its tagged if there's anyone else in the house.

There are plug in alarms you can use as well.

See here for some examples of how lighting circuits are typically wired, the fitting with the extra cabling is looped within the ceiling rose.

Back