Cavity Wall - Timber Frame - old school

CubicYard1

Hi,

I have read a lot about building timber framed houses and it seems the way forward in terms of insulation etc.
A friend of mine is building and I recommended timber frame to him - he was interested until he found out his builder, engineer and plumber had built their own homes in past 2 years and all three went for cavity block walled houses. Why is that ? If they are 'in the know', why are they not building timber frame homes which seem to me much more efficient.
Is it just an old school thing ?

CY1.

probably a situaton where they could build block houses cheaper because of the connections they had built up within that industry over time....

timber frame houses cannot be generalised into 'more efficient' box than block houses...... it all depends on standards of construction, material specification and quality of workmanship.....

Better the devil you know. one off houses would have the most full block and development schemes semi d would have more timber frame for speed of construction

Better the devil you know. one off houses would have the most full block and development schemes semi d would have more timber frame for speed of construction

Fair enough but I thought the number of one-off houses being built as timber frame outnumber the brick&block cavity at the moment. Just my perception from reading these message boards.

Fair enough but I thought the number of one-off houses being built as timber frame outnumber the brick&block cavity at the moment. Just my perception from reading these message boards.

Your perception is fairly formed but if you think of it this way. Self builders who are posting on boards such as this are interested in doing the best job so the issues come up all the time about insulation etc. There are a lot of one off houses out there built by building contractors for clients who just wants four walls and roof on their 1 acre and just go with the flow.

Back