Caught with no car insurance

So I'd be saying that I had the car on goodwill terms from the garage, but they would not transfer ownership to me until I had given them the registration documents of my trade in.

As above, registration of a change in ownership and the actual change in pwnership are two different events.

As above, registration of a change in ownership and the actual change in ownership are two different events. It is not uncommon for the registration to take place days later.
But if the OP had not completed the terms of the sale, then the actual change in ownership had not taken place. It's an arguable case and something a good solicitor could easily create enough doubt :)

But if the OP had not completed the terms of the sale, then the actual change in ownership had not taken place. It's an arguable case and something a good solicitor could easily create enough doubt

But, when I leave my car in for service, I get a loan of a garage car and ever before I leave the forecourt, I have to make sure that I transfer my insurance onto it. I don't own the car, the garage does.

But if the OP had not completed the terms of the sale, then the actual change in ownership had not taken place. It's an arguable case and something a good solicitor could easily create enough doubt :)

I believe the beneficial ownership element comes into it then and it sounds like the OP handed over payment and in exchange was given the keys. This isn't an unusual scenario, in order to mount a defence, the OP would need their insurer to confirm they provided cover for this period.

But, when I leave my car in for service, I get a loan of a garage car and ever before I leave the forecourt, I have to make sure that I transfer my insurance onto it. I don't own the car, the garage does.
I've not had to do that for years. Once I tell them I have fully comp, they are happy (Reg garage, BMW dealership)

I've not had to do that for years. Once I tell them I have fully comp, they are happy (Reg garage, BMW dealership)
But does your insurance include fully comp while driving other cars?I know a lot of policies don't.

That doesn't mean you're insured, and depends on the specific policy. 'Driving other cars' is not standard across the industry, and is often misunderstood. As an example, a standard Zurich policy only covers you driving another car where that car is covered by it's own insurance policy.

Agreed @RedOnion, be very careful with the "driving other cars" clause if it is contained in your policy. Much to my surprise I discovered that a former insurer interpreted a loaner from a dealership while my car was in for a service as being rented to me. Their logic was that the rental on the loaner was implicitly included in the charges from the dealer and therefore I wasn't covered to drive it. Always check and always tell your insurer if there is any change from "standard".

Back