Cats sleeping area

darvas

A cat has strayed into our place. appears very tame. seems to like our place and stays around every day. We have got to like it and are feeding it. We dont know where it goes at night. We have fixed up a place for it, outside, to sleep in ( a barrel with a cushion) but it is ignoring it. Any ideas how we could get it to sleep there?

He is off out hunting for himself at night. He may well have a dry little spot somewhere, and this is where he goes.
When he gets to know you a bit better, he'll stay. He may not feel safe sleeping in a strange place yet. If the bed is comfortable and warm, you can be sure Mr. Cat will find it.

Just one thing about the barrel, for when the weather gets cold I read somewhere that a cats 'kennel' should be small enough to allow it to heat up with the cat's body heat. If you have any old aero board, you could line the inside of the barrel with it and cover it with cardboard. This will make it warmer and smaller.

Also, get a worm dose for him. A little vial of stuff you put on his neck.

( If you have the time and inclination, you could google " Stray Cat, Author Unknown ", and you will feel so so happy putting out that food for him.

Cats are strange creatures that suit themselves. We bought our cat a lovely bed, but he prefers to sleep in the utility room sink! :rolleyes:

We've given in and put a cushion in it to make it more comfortable for him at night.

Cats are strange creatures that suit themselves. We bought our cat a lovely bed, but he prefers to sleep in the utility room sink! :rolleyes:

We've given in and put a cushion in it to make it more comfortable for him at night.

Class! This is one of the things that makes them such great animals! We often joke that ours would sleep on a bed of nails if we made him one.

There is a thing you can buy called catnip which attracts cats! You can put some of this in his bed and he may rest there!

Bizarre - ours is the same! I wonder is it simply them trying to cool down though?

There is a thing you can buy called catnip which attracts cats! You can put some of this in his bed and he may rest there!

Yeah, it's worth a try. The cushion might be too 'springy' and inflexible for the cat though - an old blanket might be better.

Thanks for useful information. I have been trying for past three weeks to get cat to stay. I have the barrel on its side and in a good position. I feed the cat just outside the barrel.

I had a stray cat in my garden 18 months ago.... it was very timid and i eventually won its trust over 5 months of feeding it. Then it popped out 4 kittens.

I found out they become more trusting and stay about if they are nesting. Is the stray getting any bigger?

I would not be able to guess its age. It is very friendly, follows us about, lies down to be tickled, and stays beside us in the garden while we are working. I dont particularly like cats but this one is growing on us. The reason we are trying to get it to sleep near our house is because we feel sorry for it maybe sleeping in a ditch or somewhere like that

Hi darvas,

It is lovely to hear that you are taking care of this cat.
Can I just add one little piece of advice, and say that one of the kindest things you could do for it, is to make sure to get it neutered.

Same advice goes to Vinne_cork, please get this cat neutered, and save her and any potential kittens from a life of misery and multiple pregnancies.
:)

Cats - don't you just love them? My two have their designated bed lined with fleece blankets which they both totally ignore. One of them sleeps on a chair in the kitchen and when it's cold warms his four paws on the radiator, the other one sleeps in my spot on the settee when I'm not there and on my lap when I am!

Our (spayed) cat sleeps overnight in the kitchen in her bed, but I also set up a wicker cat basket in the shed with a lovely comfy blanket on it for her. Turns out her boyfriend sleeps over in the shed and has commandeered the basket so much so that she won't go near it and while outside during the day, she sleeps in the box our hoover came in...or on the ledge under the BBQ :D

Darvas, like the black cat that sleeps in our cat's bed, dont' worry about your cat, I'm sure he/she knows a nice safe comfy place for the night - they're experts in finding that sort of thing!

M

Back