Catching Escaped Parrot

Marie

OK! This is a 'last resort' but I've tried everything else and given the skills and knowledge displayed frequently on AAM there just might be someone...........

A Parrot has been visiting my garden for up to half-an-hour each time over the past two weeks.

As my dog needed veterinary treatment anyway I asked at the vet's last week about escapees and was given contact details for the frantic owner. She brought round his cage and we put it up on a flat roof with doors open, all his shiny toys jingling in the breeze, glinting in the sunlight, birdseed in one hopper, water in another.

I've continued to put out pieces of fruit scraps etc as I always have done (which probably attracted bird initially as he's come a long, long way!)

Problem is - he comes, seems to feed on grubs etc. from the shrubs and bushes, lets me get to within a couple of feet of him with peeled banana etc..........when off he flies and doesn't return for hours (though his wings were 'clipped' he seems to have got around that one!)

I've just phoned the owner again to give her an update. She is getting despairing that he's no longer 'hand-trained' and she'll never get him back.

Anyone got any tips? I have left a whole, unpeeled banana on top of his cage in hopes if he starts to actually alight on the cage, I can gradually put the fruit inside and finally get him 'off the streets'. There are some pretty mean magpies in the nearby trees where he appears to be camped out.

Any help/advice would be very welcome.

I presume that you have tried to talk it down?

Try your local RSPCA. They would have the nets and equipment needed to catch injured birds.

You could also try the RSPB, as their members use mist nets for catching birds for ringing. I imagine that one of them would be delighted to help you.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan! I shall contact RSPB and get the folk with the nets in. He's looking a bit the worse for wear and I'm concerned about predators; as well as the horrible magpies there are now a good number of urban foxes and they'll have him if he leaves the treetops. I enjoyed the link to the lost parrot who sensibly gave his finders his owner's name!

If the parrot hasn't been caught yet, maybe a member of BirdWatch Ireland could advise or help out. Great people and with members all over the country. http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/

Alternatively, here are the contact details for Mooney Goes Wild on Radio 1. [broken link removed]
The presenters are always interested in wild life events in listeners' gardens and might call out. I immagine a drop in temperature wouldn't help his chances of survival.

Back