CAT IT38 return - worth paying a professional to file?

donncha

I have completed a personal probate and received the grant of representation.

Next step is CAT filing, and I am wondering if I should get help.
It seems straightforward.
The disponer has one property (share in residence) and savings.
The property (no cash) is going to Person A, a sibling who shared the ownership and residence, has no other properties.
- Must file IT38 (not IT38S) due to relief claim
- Claim Dwelling relief
- No tax to pay

Cash (no property) is going to Person B, a sibling.
- File IT38S
- No previous Group B inheritances, claim relief at max Group B Threshold (€32,500)
- Pay CAT of 33% on the rest

My question - are there any advantages in getting a professional to do the filing? Someone has suggested to me that any fees charged would be more than covered by reliefs that they will claim.. but I can't see where they would arise. What am I missing?

Thanks for any advice.

You should be able to do this yourself as, in my view, you've done the much harder job of extracting the Grant of Probate. I'd suggest that you download the ROS app to your computer and the IT38. It will calculate the tax for you and won't let you progress if you haven't entered the correct information. You probably know the answer already. If you have any queries give the Revenue CAT section a call by phone. There are (or at least were) fairly accessible by phone and know their stuff.

I had a similar situation having completed probate myself.
I engaged an accountant to overview all relevant taxation issues and to file the return for me while she was at it.
Done and dusted within a few days with nil liability.
I took the view in the context of the value of the property it was worth a few hundred euros to copperfasten the matter for certainty and peace of mind. The accountant was good value for the professional service she supplied.

Back