cat in the garden daughter allergic

Purrfect - Have you any idea how ridiculous and unreasonable you sound?????

I mean how "stupid" of the OP to buy a house when there is a cat near by??? In fact, she should just sell her house (at a loss) and get out just so long as the cat it not put out or disturbed. Or the cat could just "mysteriouly" disappear?

I know this sounds crude but I have heard it does work. If you manage to catch the offending cat, dip his nose in his you know what - apparently he wont be quick to come back to re offend.

Otherwise have your garden hose on the ready and give him a good soaking. Cats hate the wet!

I know this sounds crude but I have heard it does work. If you manage to catch the offending cat, dip his nose in his you know what - apparently he wont be quick to come back to re offend.

As far as Im aware that is actually an old wives tale.

OP, the poster who said cats are territorial is right - getting the cats to stop will unfortunately take a while and repeat attempts until they adopt a new territory. I would approach your neighbours (from hell or otherwise) and explain you are taking (humane) steps to prevent their cats from entering your garden due to your daughters very real illness and ask them to help on their side. They need to encourage the cat to establish a new territory. Cat nip would help with this (you could perhaps approach htem with a bag of cat nip from a pet shop). If the neighbour would put down catnip in their own garden or allocated litter tray the cat would be attracted to it. At the same time you can use somesort of humane repellant - I like the water sensor thing but it may be expensive (have you tried any of hte pet shop stuff? I think there is something called "get off" that is meant to be good and wont break the bank) to make your garden (their perceived territory) less attractive. Be you a cat lover, hater or indifferent; they are acting to their instincts (as oppose to being purposely evil) so you need to manipulate those instincts.

Good luck
cas.

Aside from that being a complete old wives' tale (unsurprisingly, animals don't understand the concept of cause and effect), you've obviously never tried to hold/catch a cat that doesn't want to be held. Try doing what you suggest - but only if you have plenty of bandages nearby...

Aside from that being a complete old wives' tale (unsurprisingly, animals don't understand the concept of cause and effect), you've obviously never tried to hold/catch a cat that doesn't want to be held. Try doing what you suggest - but only if you have plenty of bandages nearby...

I have 2 cats, they re domestics cats not lions :D. And believe me cats are intelligent, they do actually have a concept of cause and effect despite your expert knowledge.

I have 2 cats, they re domestics cats not lions :D. And believe me cats are intelligent, they do actually have a concept of cause and effect despite your expert knowledge.

I have cats too. Animals do not have the intellectual capacity to make the associative leaps that humans can - they cannot think in the abstract. A cat will not know why you're shoving its face in its poo, just that you are and it hurts. You may succeed in scaring the cat into not going into your garden again, but it won't make the intellectual connection between pooing in your garden and your unhappiness. For this reason this treatment is similarly regarded as ineffective and cruel when toilet-training a puppy.

um, I didn't say they are always in the head, I said often, big difference in my mind, I do know allergies can be serious. I have a couple of friends with serious peanut allergies, none have moved into a house beside a peanut farm/factory though, as they have a bit of common sense. I was talking about my own experiences not yours,Try reading again.

I made the assumption that someone with such a serious allergy wouldn't knowingly move right beside a long haired cat, and by the sounds of it asking a couple of neighbours or just being around the area for a little while would have identified there were cats around.

how would you know that a neighbour to be had a cat or a non cat owner might not sell there house 2 days after you moved in to someone who owned a cat? Ah really!!! Are you one of those people who has 20 cats living and taking over their house and no human contact?!? Come back to the real world!

Back