cat in the garden daughter allergic

cleverclogs7

My lovely neighbours from hell has a beautiful cat long haired.but she keeps pooping and hanging around my back garden.my daughter has a sever allergy to cats.even if she gets a hair on her she gets very ill.i have tried water guns,plastic water bottles and tin foil in the garden to keep it away.any suggestions.

Hi Cleverclogs...

Try contacting Dublin Zoo, and get hold of some Lion Do-Do's...

A gardening pal swears by it... It works on the principle that the average domestic moggy will take one sniff, realise that it's got serious competition for its toilet territory and very wisely take itself elsewhere!...

Another thing is to put the peelings from citrus fruits in the garden... Lemons, Limes, Grapefruit, Oranges, etc... The seem to hate the smell...

Can't hurt to try either, and on the pluse side, both will add additional fertiliser to your plants...

Darth...

Know it sounds mad but soak Teabags in Jeyes Fluid and place around the garden.

you can a thing in b&q etc that omits sound (just like those ones for mice). I put slices of lemon all along flower beds and it keeps the cats out of the garden. Moth balls have also been recommended to me but I'd say they'd disolve in the rain.

Hi Cleverclogs...

Try contacting Dublin Zoo, and get hold of some Lion Do-Do's...

A gardening pal swears by it... It works on the principle that the average domestic moggy will take one sniff, realise that it's got serious competition for its toilet territory and very wisely take itself elsewhere!...

Another thing is to put the peelings from citrus fruits in the garden... Lemons, Limes, Grapefruit, Oranges, etc... The seem to hate the smell...

Can't hurt to try either, and on the pluse side, both will add additional fertiliser to your plants...

Darth...

When I re seeded my garden a few years ago, a friend recommended some product made from lions' wee wee, to keep cats away. Can't remember the name of it but I was interested to see your reference to lions' doo doos above. ;)

lol..funny.thanks for that.moth balls and lions poop out of the question as i have a 3 yr old.sprays wouldnt work because of all the rain we are having.ill try the lemons and limes and tea bags with Jeyes Fluid which is like parazone right ?

Thanks every one.have a purrrrrrrrrrfect weekend :p

You could place the moth balls and/or lions poop on the wall, this way your daughter won't be touching it & it will mean the cats give your entire agrden & walls a very wide berth.

I've also heard that pepper &/or chilli sprinkled on the ground can deter them. You probably need to try several things all at once so they learn that your garden is really a place they do NOT want to be.

You could also talk to your neighbour & tell him whats happening - I'd be very annoyed if my neighbours cat was pooping in my garden - thought I don't think my dog would tolerate it (we actually have no cats in our immediate area). Maybe you could suggest that they litter tray the cat so do their business in the house. I pick up after my dog - I don;t see whay cat owners should allow their cats to head into the neighbours (I believe they really don;t like to do it in their own garden)

I agree with Sam...

You can also put the poop etc. inside plastic drinks bottles which have been pierced several times with a darning needle or suchlike to allow the odour out... You can place the bottles on their sides in the areas that the furball prefers, and let the trespassing mog have the message delivered loud and clear!... Superglue the lids on if you can't trust Junior not to get at them!...

l

Thanks every one.have a purrrrrrrrrrfect weekend :p

I'll try as hard as pussible :D

Love...

Darth...

Another way is to put a few drops of tea tree oil onto dry tea bags and sprinkle them around the garden.

They really hate teatree oil

You could also talk to your neighbour & tell him whats happening - I'd be very annoyed if my neighbours cat was pooping in my garden - thought I don't think my dog would tolerate it (we actually have no cats in our immediate area). Maybe you could suggest that they litter tray the cat so do their business in the house. I pick up after my dog - I don;t see whay cat owners should allow their cats to head into the neighbours (I believe they really don;t like to do it in their own garden)

Would think twice before doing this - even if you liked your neighbours. It would be understood that while an owner must take responsibility to control a dog - i.e. keep it in the garden - its a great deal harder to do this with a cat because they are well able to climb and squeeze through v.small holes.

Thinking about what's reasonable to do, I believe it would not be thought of as reasonable to ask that neighbours 'control' a cat and may create bad feeling.

This means the onus is on the OP to catproof their garden to the greatest extent. Make sure any hedges are lined with sturdier chickenwire that's pegged to the ground at close intervals, plug up fence gaps and as far as possible, move items away from the partition with the neighbour's garden that would enable the cat climb easily down. Cats can jump and scale walls with ease, but why make it easier!

I only know the citrus oils suggestion, cats (and dogs) positively hate citrus and it does work.

Shoo the cat out of the garden at every turn so that it understands if anyone appears in your garden, it's role is to disappear.

I had the same problem. But a few weeks ago I was in B&Q and spotted a hose pipe sprinkler that has a sensor in it. It is absolutely great. Takes 4 batterys and connect up to hosepipe. Absoltely great and humane way of dealing with them.:D

Thanks but as i mentioned sam,i have the neighbours from hell living next door.And cant wait till my lease is up to move.6 months and counting.was thinking for caterpulting the cat poor back into there garden :p

Cleverclogs - sorry, I missed the bit about them being neighbours from hell

Would think twice before doing this - even if you liked your neighbours.

I believe it would not be thought of as reasonable to ask that neighbours 'control' a cat and may create bad feeling.

Paulone - I have to disagree, I don;t think it is at all unreasonable to ask someone to keep a cat off your property. I'm not a cat lover (don't mind them, but couldn't eat a whole one:D), but my OH & one of my kids is terrified of them. Why should I happily accept someone elses cat wandering into my garden & doing their buisiness. I'm very lucky I don't have this problem as none of my neighbours seem to have cats

We recently bought a sonic cat deterrant because a family member has a phobia about cats and it works a treat. We too had a cat come into the garden and sun herself on but since we bought the deterrant no sign of her. We tried all the other folk remedies but this is the only thing that has really worked. Good luck

hmmm, some redress required here on behalf of the poor feline, OP, I notice from other posts you have made, that you seem to have only recently moved to this house (Dec 08) .

I myself have two cats, and as such I know a little about cat behaviour, I presume you moved in after your neighbours? as such I'll assume they have been there a while longer than the 6 months you've been there
(and I'll assume that for winter you didnt use garden much so this is only a recent issue).

Cats are very territorial and creatures of habit and if the cat is used to having your garden as its terrorirty you have quite a task to persuade it that your garden is no longer its domain.
Some of the things mentioned above may work, the automatic/sensor garden sprinkler being among the best suggestions (as cats mainly come out at night, so this way you can politely shoo the moggies away even when your asleep).
Also ensure you no have nice soft soil for it to use as a litter tray.
Cats hate it when they can't bury there business. If you do have flowerbeds/vegatables with exposed soft soil cover them with netting (This will also help to keep birds away), and keep your grass short.

The best solution for these type of scenerios is to get yourself a cat (but I'm a tad biased!!).
I note you say your daughter is extermely allergic though.
It has been my experience that cat allergy's are often in the mind and get confused with phobias of cats/animals/furry things.
I had a neighbour who claimed her daughter was allergic, but it turned out the kid was just scared of animals, a behaviour it learnt from its highly strung mother who had an animal phobia,
once the kid got used to my cats she completely changed from this gibbering screaming scared child to actually liking them. Still working on the mother though.

Either that or get your daughter down to the doctors, as if she really is that allergic, then chances are she is allergic to a multitude of things and not just 'single cat hairs'.

I'd also defo not recommend throwing poop over walls!
thats just asking for trouble!
Espiecally if there are other cats around other than the neighbours from hell one.
Do you expect this one neighbour to take responsibility for all the cats in the neighbourhood?

Also a chat with the neighbour may help, depending on how you word it. Surely they can't be that hellish? they are cat lovers after all!
or are they a bikers gang or something like that? (in that case poop over the wall really big no no!! rofl)

Hi, all cats are different and what works with one wont necessarily work with another. The easiest thing to do is set up a recording of a dog barking in your shed ( might also annoy the neighbour ) make it a large dog and play it as often as possible. Cats wont come near a garden where there's a dog barking.

Also ensure you no have nice soft soil for it to use as a litter tray.
Cats hate it when they can't bury there business. If you do have flowerbeds/vegatables with exposed soft soil cover them with netting (This will also help to keep birds away), and keep your grass short.

I love gardening and don't see why I should have to have netting over my garden just because someone can't leave a litter tray out for their cat.

It has been my experience that cat allergy's are often in the mind and get confused with phobias of cats/animals/furry things.
Come see me when I've been around a cat. Looks like i've gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson and its the only time I need an inhalor. DEFINITELY not in the mind!!

Surely they can't be that hellish? they are cat lovers after all!
oh please!!

"Either that or get your daughter down to the doctors, as if she really is that allergic, then chances are she is allergic to a multitude of things and not just 'single cat hairs'."

So the OP should go to expense of going to doctor even though she is sure that her daughter is allergic so that the cat can come into her garden and do his business!!! I'm sure there is logic to this somewhere, I must be just missing it!

My son is extremely allergic to cats and cat hair! His eyes swell up to three times their size and his air ways begin to block until we get him away. An allergy is a serious medical condition and very different to a fear!

To the OP, I don't have the answer to keeping the cat away but perhaps if you try some of the solutions listed above and they work you might post it up here so the rest of us can beneifit from it! Good Luck

Back