Castlebridge Co.Wexford?

Jane1

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any comments on living/house prices in Castlebridge Co.Wexford? Might be moving to the sunny south east. Seems like a nice location, close to Wexford town, Curracloe beach and not too far from the motorway to Dublin.

Regards J.

i have relatives in castlebridge so have watched it change over the past 15 years. the local shop isnt bad (not too exp particularly for petrol) and the chinese is fine (the chipshop is terrible quality though). It has a pharmacy and 4 creches (tells you a little about the people who live there) but currently no doctor. There are signs up saying that there will be a big shop built into one of the new estates but my guess is that that project will be shelved. The shuttle bus into wexford is not particularly useful (frequency) so you will end up driving into wexford for most things - and there in lies the problem. traffic into town along the castlebdrige road (the Gorey road) gets very backed up at weekends and rush hours but if you can cope with that then its a great place to live. locals complain about an increase in crime since all the "Dublin folk" moved in but the population has more than doubled in the last 10 years and i would guess that that has a part in it.
There are virtually no footpaths in the village so walking with a buggy/child can be a tricky.

There is a lovely local beauty spot called Eden Vale that is worth checking out. pm me if you are interested in directions.

anon473

Thanks Anon473. I had heard that there are a few problems with crime recently in just one area ....but thats the same for nearly every town now.

J.

I grew up there and visit my family regularly.

Negatives - I would agree that it certainly has had a few issues with crime of late, my own mother's car being vandalized by kids new to the area. However, that said, I don't think this is something particular to Castlebridge, nor any worse than anywhere else. Also, the planned shopping centre on the edge of the village appears to have run out of steam, and yes, the traffic isn't great into town (but you can drive a long way around Ferrycarrig to get there or hey, get on your bike).

Positives - it does have a distinct village character, with local groups organising GAA, old folks, community action etc. Its only 3.5 miles to Wexford, with lots of pubs and clubs and opera if you like that. Fordes restaurant and pub serves the best pub food you could hope for, and Eden Vale is a gem. The best beaches are closeby too.

When I go back I see great potential. If people rallied together more for better services such as traffic control mesures, foot paths, a manned local garda station (like we used to have in the 70's when it was a sleepy little village) and renovations to Nunn's House, then I think it would be a great place to live.. again.

forgot to mention that there are the "reading rooms" and a handball alley (both boys only as far as i am aware - never having been in either of them)

there was talk last year of the garda station being manned again but havent heard anything further.
anon473

Hey Jane1, we made a move to the sunny southeast over three years ago. At the time I did a lot of research into where we would move.
If you have to commute to Dublin more then one day a week Castlebridge is a bridge too far. Seriously have you driven it in rush hour and up and back in a day?

I reckon 15-20 minutes raduis drive of Gorey is as far South as you might want to go if your willing to spend 3 hours of your day commuting. It really effects quality of life and I have discussed this with several blow-ins and we reckon that you can sustain the 3 hour plus commute for 3 - 6 months tops and then it is unbearable.
However you did not say what part of Dublin your going into and thats is a big factor also.
Prices are droping all the time look at what has been on the market for 1 Year plus and go in with a LOW bid. If you find a location do a search online in the local papers for articles (IMN Group or TCH owns most of them).

Happy shopping.

Hey Jane1, we made a move to the sunny southeast over three years ago. At the time I did a lot of research into where we would move.
If you have to commute to Dublin more then one day a week Castlebridge is a bridge too far. Seriously have you driven it in rush hour and up and back in a day?

I reckon 15-20 minutes raduis drive of Gorey is as far South as you might want to go if your willing to spend 3 hours of your day commuting. It really effects quality of life and I have discussed this with several blow-ins and we reckon that you can sustain the 3 hour plus commute for 3 - 6 months tops and then it is unbearable.
However you did not say what part of Dublin your going into and thats is a big factor also.
Prices are droping all the time look at what has been on the market for 1 Year plus and go in with a LOW bid. If you find a location do a search online in the local papers for articles (IMN Group or TCH owns most of them).

Happy shopping.

Castlebridge is only 20-25 mins south of Gorey!! It may take 3 hours to commute to the city centre, but how much of that time is spent from the M50 inwards? Anyone commuting to city centre could consider taking train from Gorey, or drive to Bray & take DART?

For anyone commuting to south side or close to M50, Castlebridge would be ideal. Property prices should be considerably less than Wicklow & it is located within 3miles of Curracloe beach (7 miles of sand- Saving Private Ryan made there). Castlebridge is also only 3 miles from Wexford so you will have a huge choice of top class restaurants & entertainment facilities.

As my handle states, I am a Wexford person (not from Castlebridge) but would consider it an excellent location. Most of the problems associated with crime there are accountable to one estate & even one family but with a new Garda station that should be nipped in the bud

Castlebridge is only 20-25 mins south of Gorey!!

As I did mention it depends where in Dublin you are travelling to.
So if you go to Sandyford from Gorey in the legal speed limit (or there abouts) it is an hour commute.
In = 60 minutes
Out = 60 minutes
Castlebridge is 20-25 minutes x 2 = 40-50 minutes on top of this commute. So technically if I live in Castlebridge and work in Sandyford that is 2 hrs 40 mins - 2 hrs 50min daily in your car, not including traffic accidents, bad weather or heavy traffic days.

Gorey train/Bray Dart does not offer enough flexiblity for areas to West Dublin or the Northside and puts considerable time into the commute if relying on public transport for a further link in Dublin (dart/luas/bus).

Don't get me wrong Yellowbelly what I know of Castlebridge I like and I don't mean to be negative but if someone is going to move their life and a commute is part of it they really need to explore it, drive it on a bad weather day and factor it into the equation.

I live 15-20 minutes south of Gorey and on an average day takes me 20 minutes to get to Castlebridge. ;)

I would agree with those timings. I do that approximate commute once a week. Even that is always at non-rush-hour times. Doing it every day would be an unbearable hell.

Back