Cast Iron vs. Enamel Stove (Price Difference)

Sandals

Looking to purchase a Mulberry Yeats non boiler. Can anyone, please, justify the €230 price difference i.e. The enamel is €850 while the cast iron one is only €620.

Anyone have experience of either or both and is it worth paying the €230 extra for the enamel. Thanks.

I paid about € 150 extra for an enamel finish to my Stanely Erin.

Unless you need a certain colour to match decor I wouldnt bother, the enamel can chip if hit by a heavy object (bucket of coal etc.)

Also if the stove reaches a very high heat the enamel can crack in very fine "crazy paving" type cracks.

My friend has a cast iron one and "blacks" it with stove polish every now and again and it comes up a treat. If I was choosing again I would switch to the cast iron.

Thanks, magicbeans. For the sake of the few quid I didnt want to be sorry however I don't want to waste money either as both enamel or cast iron will suit.

We decided to get the cast iron however I dont like the sound of that shoe polish cleaning but anyway maybe during the summer, its a bit like cleaning out the firepalce and sticking a few candles in there for presentation and pushing the old hoodies up the chimmey to stop the wind/cold getting down.

Sandals,

Where are you getting the mulberry yeats for €620? sounds like a bargin.

Have an enamel stove and parents have non enamel. Ours is much easier to keep clean externally and a few years of burning briquettes there are no chips or cracks. Brand is Nestor Martin.

I dont like the sound of that shoe polish cleaning but anyway maybe during the summer

Get a rechargeable drill and polishing attachments and its a satisfying job otherwise its the pits! Stovax make a graphite polish you can get on ebay for about a fiver. Can look at bit bling when done fresh.

Back