Case Progression Hearings In Family Law

donegalman2019

I am re-posting a previous query about this as my original post was too complicated

I am involved in a divorce application having got a judicial separation over 4 years ago. Family law solicitor has advised me that there will likely be case progression hearing(s). I am fully able to explain my own affidavit of means and also to identify what needs clarification in my wife's affidavit of means (with prior legal input of course). My understanding is that both parties complete a questionnaire in advance so both parties know what the questions are on the day. Q. Is it the norm that people are represented at family law case progression hearings by solicitors / barristers, or do people usually represent themselves if they are comfortable with this?

Thanks Purple, so do people have a solicitor only or a solicitor + barrister at case progression hearings?

In uncontroversial matters, the solicitor alone will usually attend.

In more controversial matters, where there is likely to be a degree of argy bargy, it may be advisable to have both solicitor and barrister attend.

The very fact that there is case progression - as in the parties cannot agree on the terms- speaks volumes.

mf

Back