Cars - overheating light flickers

zag

Anyone know what the story is with the 'engine cooling system' warning light on a car dashboard ?

The one on mine flickers, particularly when starting or idling at lights, but not really when driving.

I could of course take this to mean that the engine is overheating, but the actual temperature gauge for the engine never runs high.

This leaves me thinking that either the gauge is faulty and the engine *is* hot, or else the coolant measuring light is faulty and the engine is OK.

I checked coolant levels and they are OK, but this doesn't tell me that there isn't a problem between the reservoir and the engine.

I am hoping it is a faulty measure since I thought if the coolant was low or hot the light would stay on and not flicker. I have done a few searches on the web and checked the manual, but since it is in German I have only got as far as identifying the symbol, but can't make sense of the text.

Anyone any ideas ?

Thanks,

z

heed to know what make model and year the car is and is the light orange or red

zooman - it is actually a campervan on a 94 diesel Fiat Ducato - the light flickers red and the image is of a thermometer dipped into water (or liquid).

From my poor German I understood it was the engine coolant.

Any help appreciated.

z

You could take the Delboy approach to fixing the problem - just remove the bulb from the dashboard.

Generally such a light would indeed be a signal that the engine was overheating, but in such case it should be on continously. From what you say, however there does not appear to be a problem with the engine temperature or coolant levels.
Dodgy electrics would be a common feature of Italian cars so I would lean towards the faulty light -ok engine theory.
No need to worry unless the light starts to stay on all the time. Instead leave it be, and just mention it to the mechanic the next time its in for a service - only for peace of mind

Back