Carrying handbag onto Ryanair flight??

Have two small kids under three coming with me, and usually bring a rucksacky thing for their stuff to keep entertained on flight. Guess that's out now.

Oh to have the days where flying felt like a luxury....

C

You could put a small little backpack on one of the kids for their stuff, depending on their size of course.

When flying was a luxury we couldn't afford to fly where we wanted, do you not have the option of flying another airline or is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to fly ryanair?

It is always enforced at Gatwick - doesn't matter which airline you're flying with. Apart from there, I've never seen it enforced.
Hmm, was flying through Gatwick quite a bit last year and I can't say I noticed security being especially strict in this regard. Generally was flying Aer Lingus so I had a handbag and a laptop bag and never had any issue carrying both through. I can't say I was challenged even once.

Ryanair do enforce their rule - sometimes to the point of being ludicrous - but it isn't incredibly difficult to manage as long as you are sensible and prepare before hand. I always make a point of putting in and taking out my handbag as obviously as possible though :)

Was being rigorously enforced this morning coming from Prague. This is not a big deal and you always have the option of checking a bag if needs be. I only fly with RA when there is no other choice as they have no legroom for people over 5' 7". Apart from that I've no problem with thier flights, although their choice of airports is abysmal. Three very cheery and freindly cabin crew today were dragged down by a dedicated sourpuss with no manners - guess whch one people will rmemember?

M

Hmm, was flying through Gatwick quite a bit last year and I can't say I noticed security being especially strict in this regard.
I was on the last flight out of Gatwick yesterday (FR, 9:55pm). The metal basket for checking luggage sizes was nowhere to be seen and people seemed to be carrying rather large bags on board with nobody caring. Maybe if you go for the late flights, served by tired staff dying to get home and to bed, you can get away with more?

You could put a small little backpack on one of the kids for their stuff, depending on their size of course.

When flying was a luxury we couldn't afford to fly where we wanted, do you not have the option of flying another airline or is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to fly ryanair?

Ryanair is the only airline that I can fly direct to the destination with, and with two smallies, that's a must!!

So no, noone is putting a gun to my head and forcing me to fly with Ryanair, and the luxury comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek, the only extra luxury I want is to carry a bag to hold the things to amuse the kids for the flight!

It's daft, have a 'cabin' bag at home that weights 3 kg without anything in it, so now am off looking for light cabin bags....

Crystal - every passenger over the age of 2 can bring on up to 10kg of handluggage.

I think you said on the of the kids is 3 so you have an allowance for them (i'm sure you'll be allowed bring it on for them!!)

A friend travelled back from Scotland on Sunday night very full plane. The Ryan Air staff actually had a scales at the point where you board the plane. His bag was 10.05 kgs and he said to her no way am I paying for that and she let him through but many people had to put their bags in the hole and pay the money as their bags were over weight! Thats the first time I have heard of them actually having a scales there with the cage. Sign of things to come?

Thats the first time I have heard of them actually having a scales there with the cage. Sign of things to come?
If you think about it, it is only fair. People used to have bigger bags than permitted - they added the metal cage. People used to bring multiple bags - they started enforcing the one-bag-per-passenger rule. People are carrying heavier bags than permitted - they are bringing out the scales.

As long as the rules are clear (and they are in this case), I am all for strict enforcement. All those people caught cheating the system and carrying heavy bags will now start paying €40, giving Ryanair additional revenue and hopefully making tickets cheaper for everyone else.

Or we'll get so fed up with the poor customer-handling that we will give up using Ryanair altogether, and that will raise the prices for anyone still using the airline.

Back