carrying a baby/young children in a taxi

A way to minimize risk to your children is to put the 1 1/2 yr old on the floor behind the passenger seat with a few toys

An even better way is to strap yourself in and hold the baby firmly outside your seatbelt to avoid squasing them.

An even better way is to strap yourself in and hold the baby firmly outside your seatbelt to avoid squasing them.
In the event of a crash you will automatically let the baby go and he will fly through the window. In relation to the person who mentions other modes of transport having baby seats, I've never seen such a thing on a plane/boat/bus. On planes babies under 2 get strapped to the adult lap belt and over two use the normal adult belt.

What do you experienced parents out there do when you are flying with a baby? We usually get a taxi and hire a car on the other end so I wouldn't want to be without a car seat. Do you just treat the car seat as an extra piece of luggage and check it in? I presume the airlines charge for it?

In the event of a crash you will automatically let the baby go and he will fly through the window

A way to minimize risk to your children is to put the 1 1/2 yr old on the floor behind the passenger seat with a few toys and the 4 yr old strapped in with the lap section of the belt behind the drivers seat. It's not ideal but better than them going thru the windscreen.

The official line from the RSA is as follows according to a friend of mine -

As taxi drivers are not obliged to have child restraints in their car, it is recommended that you either hold the child on your lap or strap them in with their own seatbelt. You would not put the child on the ground behind the passenger seat with no support.

Back