Carrick-on-Suir - What's it like to live in?

boogaloo

hi all,

a friend of mine is considering buying a house in Carrick-on-Suir. It would not be her full time residence but more of a holiday home.

What sort of amenities are in the area? Is it a nice town in terms of social behaviour, atmosphere, nice cafes/restaurants?

I know that it is not too far away from Kilkenny city or Clonmel town. Are there any attractions (tourist attractions I suppose) within 20 miles?

Any advice much appreciated,

thanks.

Grew up near Carrick-on-Suir - would not describe it as a nice town at all. Amenities would be quite limited, lots of hoodies in the town, and its not the sort of town where you would sit in a cafe and watch the world go by. Sorry for the negative picture btw.

As regards tourist attractions - there are lots of things to see and do around there (near Comeragh mountains, close to coast etc), near Waterford, Kilkenny etc.

To be honest its the last place I would buy a Holiday home. Agree with WarrenBuffet on most points, the surrounding area is very scenic and there are some nice attractions close by. Not enough to warrant a home there though. The main problem with the town is the anti-social element...I have seen lots in my life but nothing holds a candle to the goings on in Carrick. To be honest I would choose the "dodgy" areas of Dublin over Carrick anyday...The main issues are directly related to employment/drink/drugs/etc/etc...

Thanks for the input. I had a feeling that this might be the case, as the price is cheap and my friend did think there'd have to be a hidden glitch somewhere.

She has friends living in Kilkenny and in Carlow, so she was thinking it might be a handy place to go and stay to visit them. However, hassle is the last thing she needs and I imagine even the idea that there'd be 'hoodies' hanging around would put her off.

Thanks again, always good to get first hand info.

Totally agree with the above 2 posters - would not be where you would go on a holiday unless you want holiday from hell! Great place to go to shop for shoes or for a chinese but that is as far as it goes.

I grew up near to Carrick, and I would say that your friend should avoid at all costs. as everyone has said so far, theres a very bad anti social element to the town. its dodgy and run down. I recently passed through it with some friends from Dublin, and I was mortified when someone pointed out that my homeplace wasnt far!

think Blue Velvet by David Lynch and thats Carrick... its a strange, strange place...still though you have to love it..(but not in a want to live there way..)

The place is seriously being over developed at the moment. It has very limited amenities ,ok there is a new playground there at the moment.
But not much for kids.
The place has a very bad name due to its high unemployment rate (one of the highest in the country).And all the social problems that comes with that.It anything the town it getting worse.
Definitly one of the worst town in Ireand .Avoid if possible

hi all i cannot believe comments i have read i have lived around carrick all my life best town in country 3 gaa clubs 2 soccer clubs 2 gyms 2 hotels swimming pool beautiful castle best salmon fishing in ireland lovely river walks golf club voted best musical society in ireland friendliest bars in conntry garda friend told me 1 arrest at xmas for drunk and disorderly court threatened with closure due to inactivaty get your FACTS right

Not familiar with the town, but I am aware train services on the Limerick / Waterford line are under threat due to the level of vandalism they endure while passing through Carrick-on-Suir.
In one instance a concrete block was thrown through the driver's window.

These goings on are despicable anywhere but particularly in what should be a quiet country town. I drew my own conclusions.

With regard to the low numbers of arrests referred to in the previous post - perhaps this IS the problem?

Wishing
I can not believe your reply, read the local paper every week a full page of court cases from Carrick most of them involving drink, drugs and violence the court is the last place likley to close in Carrick.

I would have to back up Dandy. Get your friend to buy the local paper, The Nationalist, and every week's court pages are taken up with Carrick and Tipp Town. It sounds like a lawless sort of place.

I really detest sweeping statements. I have relatives residing in Carrick-on-Suir and their area is beautiful and peaceful, as are a lot of areas of the town. The soccer team recently won the FAI Junior Cup and all the community shared in the wonderful celebrations. Did anyone hear about rowdy supporters? And to state Tipp Town is featured every week in the Nationalist is totally incorrect.

Well lived in clonmel for a few years. have friends from carrick. all i will say is it s a hell hole. went there recently and nearly got assaulted only for i was with a friend who is a local. think carrick is bad. well its very nice towrds tipp town. u would want an armoured personel carrier to go through that place.

I really detest sweeping statements. I have relatives residing in Carrick-on-Suir and their area is beautiful and peaceful, as are a lot of areas of the town. The soccer team recently won the FAI Junior Cup and all the community shared in the wonderful celebrations. Did anyone hear about rowdy supporters? And to state Tipp Town is featured every week in the Nationalist is totally incorrect.

Thats correct, they were sweeping statements. I'm also very familiar with Carrick, I grew up about 15 miles or so away and things like grocery shopping would have been done there weekly.

to be brutally honest, I can't say it would be on my list of places I'd like to live. When we were growing up, and out on the weekends, Carrick was the 'toughest' neighbourhood by far that we might go to, which would include Kilkenny, WFord, Clonmel, even Callan(almost as bad), and so on.

to give an example, on Joe Duffy last week, estate agents fell over themselves to show they had the cheapest new 3-bed house in Ireland. they eventually found somewhere in Donegal for €185k.
There are 3-bed's in Carrick (the Gleann an Lacha estate) for €167k, less with some negotiation.
Under the Features heading, it says 'first 10 reduced 25k'.

Yet you could go pretty much any direction outside the town, into counties Waterford, Kilkenny or Tipp, and find a big house in the middle of a field for a very good price. If I really needed to be close to Carrick, thats what I do.

Last edited:
There is a reason House Prices are starting to fall in and around Carrick

-No one is buying them, because if they had the money they would be buying somewhere else
-Its a commuter town for Waterford, Clonmel and Kilkenny
-There are no jobs there
-The town is way to over developed
-Lots of new estates that are not even half occupied and they are building more
-It has a bad reputation rightly or wrongly that depends
-A lot of the estates have a large portion of houses that people are renting due to high unemployment rates
-Very few good places to live in the town that are trouble free

I take on board the fact that it has very good sporting clubs-soccer, hurling, golf etc that do very well at local and national levels that is a plus
If you read the local papers there is a large number of incidents reported about Carrick compared to other towns

Lets put it to the test Oldtimer. The Nationalist will be out in the morning, lets have a look at the court pages. Lets see how Carrick and Tipp town get on.

Back