carriage and warranty?

F

fu

I have a mail order query and am hoping AAM readers can help.

I purchased an electronic device from a company in Cork. I discovered the device was faulty less than 1 month after I got it, and informed the Cork company. They requested I sent it down for repairs / replacement, "all under warranty".

I posted it down by registered mail, having decided I'd absorb the cost of this since they were being so efficient and courteous with their after-sales service - a personal cost of about EUR8.

The device had to be replaced eventually. Then they phoned me and requested I pay for the cost of carriage from the manufacturers in the UK to them, and for subsequently sending the device on to me - a charge of EUR40.

They stated that carriage is not covered under warranty from their suppliers to them, or from them to me.

I agreed on the phone to pay EUR15 to get the device back to me, but I am still not happy with the situation.

Am I liable for carriage, even though the device is under warranty? It was only 30 days old with it malfunctioned !!!

I'm now out of pocket by EUR23 on a defective device that only cost approx EUR200 !!

The warranty is irrelevant. If they sold you a faulty item, they are obliged to replace it.

Any cost associated with doing so should be borne by them. Threaten them with a complaint to ODCA if they don't play ball.

Hi fu

I certainly would not expect to pay the carriage from the UK supplier. The good was faulty and it is the seller's responsibility to rectify this whatever the cost is to them.

Contact [broken link removed] 1890 220 229

They will inform you if you have a right not to pay the postage because you purchased by Mail Order. I think you might be covered by the Distance Selling Legislation and if this is the case you will not have to pay the postage.

Marion :hat

Back