carpet to go with hall colours?

Abbica

Hi, I have to choose my carpet now which is turning out to be a bit of an obstacle course (price is a big factor). We want a runner going up our stairs, which have stained handrail and steps, white spindles) our floors and doors are oak and our walls are yellow. Our landing is quite an intricate shape (zigzags) and the carpet man told us that we can't really have a pattern as the carpet will come in a 15ft width roll which will have to have some seems and you don't want it all to look a mess so we are stuck with a plain carpet or one with a diagonal weave with another colour running through it. I was thinking a kind of blue/beige carpet, my oh was thinking creamy/orange, we both like both ideas but does anyone have any recommendation for a carpet colour that goes with yellow walls and oak doors/floor etc...

I'd recommend a neutral colour as carpets tend to last longer than our decorating choices - if you change the wall colour in the hall in the next few years then your options for repainting will be limited to what matches the carpet. The problem with neutrals is that they tend to be light in colour which isn't ideal for a high traffic area like a hallway or stair.

Have you looked at the natural fibre options like coir, jute or sisal? They are textured, come in either plain weaves or herringbone and the colour shades range from a pale beige to darker browns and are extremely hard wearing for high traffic areas. They look great on stairs (IMO) and wont dominate your colour scheme either now or in the future.

For some images of natural fibre runners on wooden stairs and to give you a better idea of how this might look in your home, take a look at this link:

http://www.naturalinterior.com/floor-coverings.php

I have no connection with the company - most carpet suppliers will be able to source these options, so shop around for best price.

Hi Abbica
I have similar colours and hall/landing layout to you but with white doors and skirting and have a burgundy carpet with black & cream dots. It really makes the hall look bigger (it's only 3.5ft wide) or at least drags your eyes upwards anyway. Also have front door painted a similar burgundy colour so this looks more inviting from outside.
Not sure how it was cost wise as I got all bedrooms done at the same time.
I can send you a picture if you like.

Thank you very much for the link and advice, I don't think Burgandy would go in our hallyway Dundalkman but thanks.
I do like the textured carpet definitely but the ones the man showed us in the carpet place was too dear per sq yard with underlay, our hallway is very big. So decided against it and just went with the wool carpet with slight diagonal pattern and will see how it goes, think I will get it, I am tired at this stage in the build and give up!!!
I won't be changing the paint colour scheme in our hallway, the stairs, doors etc everything go with the paint colour
!

Back