Carpet Right, or actually Carpet Wrong

pricilla

Hi, my sister tried to post but is having difficulties so she asked me to post this for her to get some advice.
Basically, she picked out a (dark chocolate colour) carpet from Carpet Right, then they came to fit it but it looked totally different to the one she picked out. She pointed it out to the fitter and he said, "No, this IS the one you picked out, it just looks different in the light" Actually it is completely different, but she was on her own and didn't feel able to argue.
Now I've seen the carpet she picked out, while I was shopping around myself last weekend, and the one they gave her is COMPLETELY different and way lighter (cream colour) and not suitable at all for the sitting room. It was fitted 5 weeks ago, and she's very annoyed about it. It's not the one she ordered at all.
She wants to go back to the shop this week, what do you think is the best tactics for us to use to get the carpet replaced, it's not hugely expensive but I don't think she should have to pay at all.
She has the reciept with the chocolate colour specified on it.

pricilla said:
Hi, my sister tried to post but is having difficulties so she asked me to post this for her to get some advice.
Basically, she picked out a (dark chocolate colour) carpet from Carpet Right, then they came to fit it but it looked totally different to the one she picked out. She pointed it out to the fitter and he said, "No, this IS the one you picked out, it just looks different in the light" Actually it is completely different, but she was on her own and didn't feel able to argue.
Now I've seen the carpet she picked out, while I was shopping around myself last weekend, and the one they gave her is COMPLETELY different and way lighter (cream colour) and not suitable at all for the sitting room. It was fitted 5 weeks ago, and she's very annoyed about it. It's not the one she ordered at all.
She wants to go back to the shop this week, what do you think is the best tactics for us to use to get the carpet replaced, it's not hugely expensive but I don't think she should have to pay at all.
She has the reciept with the chocolate colour specified on it.

letting them fit it was a big mistake....

she will find it very hard to get anywhere.... espically in a he said , she said situtation....

does she have an order/docket with the exact make/model of the carpet she did order ?

Was there any cut-offs left over? Often fitters leave these behind for you to use as mats, etc., but also because it saves them dumping them.

If your sister brought a piece of that back into the shop and compared it side y side with the carpet ordered, in the same light, she should be in a better position to demand they replace it.
Leo

The only way to definitely prove is to compare the model numbers. . . . find out what model the fitted one is and THEN check the one she ordered.

She shouldn't have let them install it. She's basically given it the OK.

Well at the very least the store are 50% to blame so they should be able to refund the cost of the carpet anyway, it's not the fitters fault they were given the wrong carpet, this would have been trimmed from the roll in the shop, probably by a salesman. I think I could live with the colour if the carpet was good quality and cheap!

Thanks, I think she'll just have to go in with the cutting like you said Leo and try her best. She hadn't really a choice about letting him fit it, my dad let him in and he had it fitted by the time she came home. I'll let ye know how she gets on, she may be fighting a losing battle but she has to try.

Back