Carers Grant following death prior to June

The department website says that Carers who are in receipt of Carers Allowance, Carers Benefit or DCA on 1st Thursday will automatically receive the payment. So if you are in the period where you are getting either the allowance or benefit after the death of the caree then you will get the Carers Support Grant.

I get it every year as I receive DCA for a child. I do not think I am entitled to it under the legislation as I work more than 15 hours per week. But every time I bring it to their attention I am told "the system says you get it".

The department website says that Carers who are in receipt of Carers Allowance, Carers Benefit or DCA on 1st Thursday will automatically receive the payment. So if you are in the period where you are getting either the allowance or benefit after the death of the caree then you will get the Carers Support Grant.

I get it every year as I receive DCA for a child. I do not think I am entitled to it under the legislation as I work more than 15 hours per week. But every time I bring it to their attention I am told "the system says you get it".

The Carer's Support Grant information on the welfare website isn't clearly worded.

You receive the Carer's Support Grant automatically because you are in receipt of DCA (Domiciliary Care Allowance). The number of hours you work is not relevant for DCA payments, and therefore is not relevant for Carer's Support Grant.

Persons in receipt of Carer's Allowance or Benefit are also automatically entitled to Carer's Support Grant. The carer's work pattern, if any, is assessed at the time of applying for the Carer's Allowance/Benefit, and must be 15 hrs per week or fewer.

The reference to 15 hrs per week work (plus other conditions) on the Carer's Support Grant page on welfare.ie refers to persons who are not in receipt of Carer's Allowance or Benefit or DCA but who are caring for another person and who apply for the Carer's Support Grant.

Back