Carers Benefit to Carers Allowance

149oaks

I was made redundant in Apr 2011. I was was only able to work 3 days/week from 2005 due to my wifes illnesses & medical conditions. The job was well paid so I couldn't claim anything for the other 2 days and she has been on Invalidity Benefit since 2004. From 2004 to 2011 I had taken some time off work and claimed Carers Benefit. Anyway after I was made redundant I became a full-time Carer for her as she had deteriorated and I couldn't commit to any type of work. This situation will continue indefinitely.

In January my full Carers Benefit entitlement is up. 7 weeks ago I applied for Carers Allowance and when I called to check on my application I was told there was up to a 9 month backlog. I have looked at what I should do in January when my CB is over and I am awaiting the CA. I believe I can opt to go onto my wife's IP as a dependent relative and when my CA comes through I get half rate which is fair enough.

But my question is if I do that and on the off chance my CA is not approved where am I then? It could be say June before this happens so what would happen to my entitlement to Job Seekers Benefit, credits or whatever for this interim period and the future if I am a dependent relative. I just want to protect myself in the slim chance that the CA is not allowed and don't want to have lost out on something by not taking the correct course of action in January.

Any views/info would be greatly appreciated.

Back