Carers Benefit ending but full time caring continuing - PRSI credits for pension?

The Ghoul

I have left work to become a carer, I have been on Carer's Benefit but that ends soon as I will have reached the 104 week limit. As I have considerable savings, I will not pass the means test for Carer's Allowance.

I won't be working or paying any PRSI. I read on another thread that a chargeable person who pays PRSI on unearned income can gain benefits from this, that doesn't apply to me as most of my money is in tax exempt State Savings.

I've been reading online about the Homecaring scheme Homemaker's scheme and voluntary contributions but am a little unsure of what I need to do now to maintain my PRSI record. Should I apply for Carer's Allowance even though I know that I will get no payment? I'm not even sure if my pension will be calculated using a total contributions or average contributions approach. I am age 43 so assume total contributions will apply?

Thanks,
The Ghoul

Is this of any relevance to your situation?

Bumping this thread in light of today's announcement on pensions for carers which has confused me more than I was already. I thought the Homemakers and Homecaring Periods Schemes already helped carers to gain entitlement to an old age pension. But today, there is the following quote from RTE:
  • Enhanced State pension provision for long-term carers to be introduced from January 2024. This will mean, for the first time, people who have to give up work over a long duration to look after a loved-one will have their time spent caring recognised in the pension system.

Back