carers allowance

eazy1

HI does anyone know why when appealing for the carers allowance the file is sent from dolier street to longford and back to dolier street again

Guess its because Longford is the central Social Welfare Services Office for dealing with this, like Sligo is for all things Pension Related etc

Longford is the Carer's Allowance scheme area, where applications for Carer's Allowance are dealt with.

D'olier St is the SW Appeals Office.

When a person makes an appeal, the Appeals Office must get the claim file before proceeding, so a request for the file is sent to the scheme area (in this case Longford).

thanks guys i was hoping it was for a more positive result ie sent back to longford to arrange payment as this appeal is taking weeks. The waiting time for an appeal is ridiculous

When a person appeals the SWAO in Dublin sends a copy of your appeal to Longford. Longford must then reply to SWAO with your complete file. Once SWAO has the file an appeals officer is assigned to the case and the oral hearing is scheduled.

can anyone tell me if you get a letter to tell you that carers allowance has received your application, as I have not received anything and it been 4 months now.

You don't get a letter. Some people get text when the application is received.

thankyou, I haven't received anything and was wondering should I call them, do you know how long the process takes. I have never applied for carers before and don't know how the process works.

Last edited:
The whole process takes a very long time. Sometimes over a year for an initial decision.

I would call them just to see if they got your application.

They are currently working on Feb 2014 applications. This info fgiven when I checked last week.

ok thanks I will wait another couple of weeks and see if I receive a text or anything.

Back