Carers Allowance - Uncooperative Spouse

careforthecarer

I am currently in receipt of Carers Allowance on behalf of my son. But my claim is under review and they are asking for certain documents (payslips/bank statements etc). All absolutely fair enough, after all, this is a means-tested payment.

But, I have a problem. My husband is a complete and utter... bad man. He's refusing to provide the relevant documents. Which means I will surely see my Carers Allowance cancelled. I have already tried Carer's Benefit but I don't qualify for that as you need to have been working within the last six months.

What can I do? Anything? I feel physically unwell that he can do this to me - and his two children - and he can just completely get away with it.

Sorry to hear this. Is there any way he can be compelled to privide the docs, given that your claim relies on it? A solicitor letter maybe?

Bluefin, I'm not sure, I haven't worked since we've been married. I don't know what he does.

jim, I don't think so, he is being a... bad man on purpose. I don't think a solicitors letter will make him do the decent thing.

But thank you both for responding, I appreciate any ideas.

This sounds like a very disturbing situation and your husband sounds extremely controlling.

on the paperwork front, do you have a joint mortgage or tenancy and would you be able to get details of outgoings for that?

Did you ever sign up to joint account with him? If so you could probably go directly to bank to see if you can obtain statements

My understanding is that Carers is taxable. Can you reach out to revenue directly or setup mygov account to access revenue.ie , as you msy be able to get income details there.
You will need a PSC card to set up mygov.

Also, find out what your options are if you separate. Could you claim lone parents and carers maybe? Try get a backup plan in place as this situation is not normal.

Best of luck and I hope you get carers sorted.

Thank you dubdub, we are in a Council tenancy. I don't think it would be possible to legally separate but still live under the same roof. It would be brilliant if we could do that.

We've never had a joint bank account, always separate finances.

I have an appointment with Citizens Information later this week. I'm going to lay my cards on the table and see if they have any suggestions. I might know more about where I (and my children) stand. It's just a shame they couldn't see me sooner.

I have a mygov. account. I don't know what the story is with Carer's being taxable, I've only ever been on half-rate Carer's. Until recently my spouse was claiming Jobseeker's Allowance. Then he got a job and signed off so I applied for full rate Carer's Allowance. With him refusing to provide evidence of income I can't claim anything in my own name. And I can't work because special needs childcare would be more than I'd earn. I'm stuck.

Maybe it would be worth going back to the Social Welfare office and asking them for advice? I should probably wait until I speak to Citizens Information?

For what it's worth, couples who still live in the same property can still get a judicial separation if certain circumstances pertain.
Effect of decree of judicial separation

Where a court grants a decree of judicial separation it means that the parties involved are no longer obliged to live together. Indeed the couple must not continue living together as this would negate the reason for granting the decree in the first place.

The definition of living apart is relatively flexible, however. Thus spouses can live under the same roof but still live apart. The essential test is whether or not ‘domestic life’ is shared under the same roof as part of a ‘household’ as opposed to occupying the same physical building.

Maybe it would be worth going back to the Social Welfare office and asking them for advice?
I think you should. Don't worry, they'll be well used to dealing with situations such as yours, and will have procedures and protocols to resolve them.
I should probably wait until I speak to Citizens Information?
I would go straight to Social Welfare rather than waiting.

I am currently in receipt of Carers Allowance on behalf of my son. But my claim is under review and they are asking for certain documents (payslips/bank statements etc). All absolutely fair enough, after all, this is a means-tested payment.

But, I have a problem. My husband is a complete and utter... bad man. He's refusing to provide the relevant documents. Which means I will surely see my Carers Allowance cancelled. I have already tried Carer's Benefit but I don't qualify for that as you need to have been working within the last six months.

What can I do? Anything? I feel physically unwell that he can do this to me - and his two children - and he can just completely get away with it.
Hi I’m just wondering how you worked things out since? I’m in a very similar position

Back